1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dan Kelly, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Dan Kelly

Dan Kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me start by saying I'm a complete Speaker novice so don't be afraid to dumb things down.

I'm about to splash out on a Tosh 40WHO8B 40" widescreen telly (Dolby Digital). The package includes a pair of surround speakers (the centre speaker is unfortunitly built into the TV and can't be upgraded) and I'd like to bolster this by adding a pair of front speakers & a modest sub (I have a semi detached bungalow so the 'modest' is for the benefit of the people next door).

Ultimitly I'll be upgrading to a seperate amp & set of speakers but I'd like somthing to tide me over until my funds recover (could be a while!)

In short:
    A pair of cheap (but good) front speakers that won't blow away the included speakers
    A cheap (but good) active sub.

Budget:
    around a couple of hundred
    Room Size:
    14ft x 11ft

Sorry to rattle on and thanks for any help.

2. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out Mattie's post below....she got one heck of a deal on a pair of discontinued Wharfdale speakers.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try some Tannoy Mercury (or perhaps the new Mx series) for a start, excellent sounding budget speakers with good bass (M3s) but not-so-good finish.
    But that's why they are budget speakers ...

A whole set (M3+M1+Mc) can be obtained for GBP400 or less.

As for the Sub try a REL Q50E, don't try to save to much here as it's else a wasted investment.
    If the funds are tight consider buying the sub at a later time, the M3s can do a pretty good job for the time being ...

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

4. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan, I know how you feel, but as said above, don't buy a sub if you can't afford a good one. It'll only end up in your attic (honestly) in 12 months.

Unless, you buy something like a passive JPW for about £40 (I used to have one, quite adequate for a while)

5. Dan Kelly

Dan Kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll check those out. Can you Recomend a good on-line site that sells them?

6. Dan Kelly

Dan Kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll check those out. Can you Recomend a good on-line site that sells them?

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No idea of where to buy, residing outside of the UK ...