1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chivalry, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    hello... after spending a few weeks roaming these boards.. ive started to get the inevitable itch to upgrade :0(... doh..
    After much looking about at various web sites.. a few "older" models of speakers seem to come across as absolute bargains..
    Please could anyone with any experiance or knowledge on the following speakers give any reccomendations as to which they think would suit my room (bout 13 x 13) and system best ? thnx :0) i have a velodyne VX10 sub commin soon as well so if that makes a differnce......

1) Wharfedale Pacific Pi20 for £99.99 reduced from £350
    2) Wharfedale Pacific Pi40 for £199 reduced from £500
    3) Acoustic Energy AE120 for £150 reduced from £400
    4) Mission 773e for £180 reduced from £400
    5) KEF cresta 3 for £109 reduced from £250

please any advice bad or good is appreciated.. also if anyone else knows of any others speakers at a crackin deal atm anywhere let me know :0)

many thanks.. :hiya:

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the missions are agood buy if you can get them, and would be complemented by your subwoofer.

3. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    ??? :confused: all these looks at only 1 person tried to help... cmon im desperate here! i need new speakers and i want them NOW!.. :D

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Before you actually try to make a decision on which set of speakers ... have you actually made sure that companies have the speakers you're looking at in stock ... some end of line box shifters are very bad at advertising goods they don't have in stock. (I'm guessing the Mission 773e and the KEF Cresta 3 you've seen advertised at Richer Sounds and the Wharfedale Pi range at HyperFi)

As for comments on the speakers ...

The Wharfedales have had good reviews in the past ... but are a little weird looking ... some might even go as far as to say they are butt ugly!!

The Mission 773e have been critisised as being lacking in bass ... but your Velodyne should take care of that.

The KEF Cresta again got good reviews for budget speakers ... but for similar money also check out the smaller Cresta 2 on decent stands.

The AE120 ... well I can't really remember ever seeing anything said about them ...

Really it's not a good idea to buy any piece of HiFi kit based on what other people say and you should really get out their and listen.

In summery though ... (and I've not heard your speakers) ... I would think that any of the speakers you've listed will sound a lot more musical than your current Cerwin Vega speakers.

Vikki

5. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :0( my cerwin vegas were 500 quid bout 9 years ago,,, dunno how they would stand up to todays speakers though.. plus im using the onkyo AV amp as a main amp (no room) so am a little unsure if the amp will do a decent set of speakers justice?

6. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    well... the cresta 3 is in stock at 110 quid so seems a good bargain....anyone else got anythin to add? i expected a little more response ;0(

7. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The Mission 771e at £80 from Richers are excellent value and fine speakers.
    I paid £200 for mine:mad:

8. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    well.. after a couple o phone calls seems there all availble :0)... so i imagine eihter the mission 773e or the wharfdale pacifics.. pi20 or pi30,,,

9. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I got four 773e's from RS.....well happy with them, although as previously stated, they are lacking in bass.

Even so, they were a dramatic improvement over my old Gale GS401's.. :D

10. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    after much testing and deliberation at the local hi-fi stores.. and advice from a certain person... ive bought the AE evo 1 standmounts.... im amazed at the ammount of bass these produce.. and crystal clear with it... better than all the floorstanders i auditioned !!