1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice Need - VM1's? - Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark123, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Mark123

Mark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, would be grateful for some advice.....

I am looking to purchase some speakers for my AV system. The options I have been considering are:

B&W VM1's or
    B&W 602's (Front) LCR60 (Centre) 600's (Rear)

Which would be the better choice for my system which is made up of:

Pioneer VSX-812
    Pioneer DV-360
    REL Quake

Thanks in advance.....

Mark

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Mark
    What size room do you have and were will the speakers be positioned .Only trouble with ported speakers is they need space to breathe if you dont they will sound boomy.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. Mark123

Mark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The room is about 12' x 15'

Usual story - TV in Corner :( Centre Below, Fronts either side and rears either side of sofa.

So I assume that if the speakers will be close to walls then something like VM1's would be better?

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    My room is a similar size to yours and had no problems when I had B&W 602 s3's (on stancette stands) as well as the lrc60 (on top of my tv). They sounded very good with eveything I chucked at them and they never suffered from boominess ever. My room is rectangular with my tv central both the speakers were about 50 cm from any wall. I'm sure for the extra performance you'll get from the 600 series (imo) it's worth auditioning them in your home at least to make sure you don't have any positioning issues.
    I had more issues with M71's when I had them because they had rear ports where as the 602's have the ports at the front.
    The 602 s3's are hard to beat imo at this price range and in sorrento finnish look the business as well.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Mark
    Your room is slightly smaller than mine but your tv is in the corner same place as mine.The speakers being either side the tv and centre on top.This causes problems with ported speakers as hawklord explained he does have a fare bit of space around his speakers,because of this problem ive decided to change the monitor audio silver speakers i had which when out of the corner sound superb.As it will be a while before i can get a plasma to sit above my fire place and can site my speakers accordingly, ive been stuck on what to do as i listen to music quite a bit in stereo so tiny sats would have been a down grade from the monitor audios that is why ive gone for the m&ks they will sound good in confined spaces and with music but will also sound good when ive finished upgrading the amplification and got the plasma and move them in to more open space.If you mainly use your system for movies i would have a listen to the new kef eggs these imo will sound much better in a confined space than the b&w ported speakers.
    Cheers Gonzo.