1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker advice - if I wanted to change.!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by museumsteve, May 12, 2003.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    So, I have my image..and the great Pioneer 939-A, LD player and of course my monster amp (upgraded ACVA1SE)..
    I now think I really should be looking at replacing my speakers in one lump, to get it over and done with.
    I have:-

Roksan Ojan 3's at the front - fantastic, weighty and the look nice

Ruark Talisman IIs for rears/sides - great speakers but I do feel they belong in a proper home stereo/hi-fi environment and not home cinema

Mission 78c centre - I guess this is good enough to stay for now

Rel Q150E - keeping this for now of course

Rear Surround Effects - Missions M77 ds

Rear Centres - Yamaha NSE105's - only kept them cos they are flat and my set-up benefits from this

What should I be looking at.? Would it be beneficial to replace fronts and rears for one make, any suggestions as to where to start looking..

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Few questions ...

Is there a particular reason for upgrading? What do you feel is missing? Also of course what is your budget?

Front to rear matching is less important than matching the front 3 ... I think my first port of call would be looking at 3 matching front speakers.

I don't know much of either the Roksan or Ruark speakers (except reputation of Ruark being good) but various options could be Mission 780 or 782 left and right to match your centre, or if you like the sound from the Roksan look at a matching centre for that, or move the Talisman IIs to the front ... moving the Talisman's would probably be the best option ... and contact Ruark to see if they have a centre that will match - maybe the Epicentre.

Once you've done that ... you'll want to look at some rear speakers. 1 or 2 pairs of Ruark Epilogues would match well balancing front to rear sound ... but as I said this isn't so essential. Some people prefer di/bi/tri-polar speakers for sides rather than direct radiant speakers (normal ones) so get a demo of all the options and see what you prefer.

As I say ... I don't know the Ruarks or the Roksan speakers you meantion so not sure how they sound ... but hopefully my comments will give you some ideas of where to look to begin.

Vikki

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Steven.

How much are you willing to invest into the front three?

Steve.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    thanks vikki.;) good place to start looking at I guess.

I'm happy with my set-up but feel I may be missing something. I loved my speakers when I first got them a couple of years ago and I was running them on a Yammy A1..but I believe I should have upgraded or moved along to more home cinema specific speakers yet haven't bothered.

I guess if I was realistic I'd prefer to keep my cemtre for now as I've only had it six months, but Steve what do you have in mind. Say I had a budget of £1200-£1500 for front 3...

I have a dedicated room with concrete floor if that makes a difference..:)

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Whilst not wanting to sound like stuck record i would be thinking Kef 200c center, Kef ref 2.2-floorstanders or RDM2's stendmounters, ithink you would struggle to find anyone who would'nt appreciate this set-up.

Steve.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Steve regarding the Kef 200, it really is a great centre. Got one myself.

Steve, my left/rights are Q75's. Would you say loosing money selling the Q75's and buying RDM twos for left/right's in AV is worth it?

Regarding the Ruarks, I would move the them to the left & rights, and find the matching Ruark centre, as Vikki recommended. Sell the Yamaha & Missions.

I have tried the Epilogues. I think they don't go low enough, they tend to strain a bit. Very good sound though. I've borrowed the Epilogue II's for a week. Fantastic midrange & treble. Settled with the Etudes though.

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan.

What can i tell you?

There is IMHO no denying that if you are used to the big baffle "sound" that invariably comes with large floorstanders then droping to a baffle that is 1/4,1/5 the size does for some that i have found take some getting used too.
    The RDM's are a near field monitor design and as such have their linitations, that said i have listened to them (properly) on many occasions and i have found their presentation to be very agreeable, given your love for L7 (with music?) the very very very close tonal match would be to your liking i would imagine.
    As to whether you would prefer them to the Q75's is a matter for you.
    what i would say is that i went from a HUGE pair of floorstanders to (for a month) Kef 201's (large standmounters) i then changed and bought the Kef 203's (small/medium floorstanders), then re-borrowed the 201's, couldn't make up my mind which i prefered and bought them also for rear duties, i would however have no qualms using them on the front all be it a slightly less "imposing/wall of sound" presentation - timing and precision is everything (for me)
    If you are going to go for smallish floorstanders and use a sub then the quality of the sub will (obviously) be very much an issue as regards 2 channel stereo. (i do not know what sub you use)

Steve.

In my humble opinion Nathan why not go further up the chain and look for Kef 2.2/3.2/4.2 of which can be picked up for great prices now.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Regarding the big References, my amps aren't good enough (PX's) also since I'm setting all to small 80hz - think this sounds best- then new, big floorstanders are perhaps not worthwhile. Also I know the 2.2 > require a big room and lots of space, which I don't have.

Subwoofer is a Rel Storm, will be replaced with a single SVS CS-Ultra (then add another CS-Ultra) or maybe single/dual 20-39 CS+.

Perhaps if I see a pair of RDM two's going cheap, I'll snap up a pair.

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Why do you say 80hz sounds best? what are your crossover options, does 80hz sound "better" than 70hz.
    For many years i stuck at 80hz, then when i got my first Tag (which only allowed 50,80,120hz global as i recall) i much prefered the 50hz setting on the front channels but because the setting was global it didn't suit the 2 pairs of TDM34's i was using on the rears at the time.
    i am firm beleiver that the "you cant hear/directionality below 80hz" is utter twaddle and you can pinpoint direction at a far lower frequency, of the many gains i feel i have in specifying 40hz for the fronts, 50hz for the center, 80hz for the sides and 60hz for the backs is that i have removed to a far greater exent the directionality of the sub's, they are obviously doing less (i feel the amps have more or less sufficeint grunt to cope) and the whole thing (with TMREQ) sounds sublimely "calm" and does not get excited unless required.
    I think the 80hz setting is certainly kind to your amps but then you are relying heavily on the performance of the sub at the 50-80hz range.
    Just my usual ramblings.

Steve.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I think the 80hz for all sounds best because when I've set to 40hz to all (except subs), sub is still at 80hz- I guess the sub is reproducing double-bass, so it sounds boomy. Should I set the sub to 40hz crossover then?

I'll try out 40hz for the mains, centre and sides, and set the subwoofer to 40hz instead, I'll play around with DVD's tomorrow.