Speaker advice for the Onkyo 818

zeus65

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I know I posted this in the onkyo 818 owners thread possibly not the place for it.

Just wanted to ask your opinion of which set of speakers I should get with the Onkyo 818.

My current setup really needs a good revisit.

Besides replacing the ancient Sony amp STR-DB940.

I have Kef IQ5s Floor standings

And I guess really mediocre

Mordaunt-Short Avant 905i centre
and
Mordaunt-Short Avant 903i bipole backs.

Now as a replacement thinking

Monitor Audio RX6 package (possible replace the floor standings with Rx8s as I like my music)

and use the Kef Iq5s to make up the extra 2 in the 7.1 Or get a pair of the Kef Q300s at some point?

Or possibly something like the Kef AV700 speaker 7.1 speaker package. Whathifi didn't give the Q700s a very good review though.

Basically would the Kef IQ5s work well as the remaining 2 in any new 5.1 setup to get to 7.1. (I'm assuming you wouldn't suggest the mordaunt-Short bipolar speakers)

Also what do you guys think of the Dali Zensor 7s/5s. Obviously trying to figure out my budget (wants vs need :))

Thanks.

Jay

Last edited:
I have heard the rx8s and theyre cracking speakers, very good bass for music yet it doesnt overwhelm the mids and the trebles are the usual chrystal MA sound if thats what you like.

I dont have the space myself for them or it would be a no brainer for me.

How are you finding the 818 with audyssey xt32? If funds allow im thinkin about an upgrade in a few months from my 708.

I have heard the rx8s and theyre cracking speakers, very good bass for music yet it doesnt overwhelm the mids and the trebles are the usual chrystal MA sound if thats what you like.

I dont have the space myself for them or it would be a no brainer for me.

How are you finding the 818 with audyssey xt32? If funds allow im thinkin about an upgrade in a few months from my 708.

Hey man thanks for the reply, I know whathifi mentions sticking with the rx6 package as a whole. (got one of the awards for 2011).

In terms of the amp, I haven't actually purchased it yet :blush: I've been looking at the onkyo amps for a while and I've heard good reviews about it, and everyone is raving about the inclusion of the xt32. I was considering the 616 but thought the extra money sounds like its worth it, specially if you do buy a really good set of speakers to go with it which I've suddenly thought of doing at the same time... I just have to control myself with the volume and hope the neighbor upstairs doesn't complain too much about the explosions sounds happening when playing Call of Duty :devil:

I could probably get away with just buying the new amp but research = drooling new ideas.

A friend of mine has the Rx8s with a Yamaha amp and he absolutely loves them.

I actually still think my Kef Iq5s are pretty good but the mix of different speakers and the fact my sony amp doesn't sound too good...makes these clicking noises (my guess is sparks quite a lot) made me go on a research hunt

ps nice I kill you pic, gotta love DunHAM.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom