Speaker advice for technics SA da8

Starbase804

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just been looking through old boxes and found my Technics SA DA8 amp that I bought new and used for my surround setup back in the day. I loved the sound but I'm no audiophile, what I'd like to know is what speakers would work well with this for a nice audio setup now, Amazon music streaming or similar. Is bi worth it? Don't want to spend a fortune, just some budget friendly options that will pair nicely with this amp.
Cheers

Are you looking at using the Technics for surround sound or just stereo? Will you want bookshelfs or floorstands as the main front to?

So long as you understand it's not up to the job feature wise as some of the latest AV Receivers there is no reason why this cannot be brought back to life

If your going down the simple bookshelf 5.1 solution, then something like the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speaker package could be a cheap option to bring the Technics back to life without breaking the budget. If you just want a simple stereo bookshelf we have loads of them available with some of the popular budget ones by Wharfedale, Mission or Q Acoustics. You might want to add a subwoofer to bring some bass to the room with the bookshelfs though. For floorstands, you could look at an array of options which will suit your budget

Your Technics can work with much better products than listed, but as you have mentioned about price, I've tried to keep it realistic, but if you do have a more healthy budget available, then I'm sure you can look at getting something more inline with the SA-DA8

Are you looking at using the Technics for surround sound or just stereo? Will you want bookshelfs or floorstands as the main front to?

So long as you understand it's not up to the job feature wise as some of the latest AV Receivers there is no reason why this cannot be brought back to life

If your going down the simple bookshelf 5.1 solution, then something like the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speaker package could be a cheap option to bring the Technics back to life without breaking the budget. If you just want a simple stereo bookshelf we have loads of them available with some of the popular budget ones by Wharfedale, Mission or Q Acoustics. You might want to add a subwoofer to bring some bass to the room with the bookshelfs though. For floorstands, you could look at an array of options which will suit your budget

Your Technics can work with much better products than listed, but as you have mentioned about price, I've tried to keep it realistic, but if you do have a more healthy budget available, then I'm sure you can look at getting something more inline with the SA-DA8
I think mainly music playback, but I have found my Jamo center 100 that I used to use with it and I think I can see a Jamo sub in the loft but have to move some stuff, I have a feeling the sub had a broken spring clip, it was a pass through sub.
Floor standing would suit my position better. It's going in a garden room I built I few years ago that the whole back opens up onto a decked garden, 4m opening. Be nice to open up and have music in the summer rather than my megaboom speaker. So the ability to move the floor standing units either side of the opening would be nice, surround would be nice but definitely a nice to have rather than priority.

Oh when I say garden room, it's a extension, not a separate building.

As you've already got Jamo, the right suggestion should be to stay with Jamo and something like the S 805 might be a good starting point for you as it will enable you to keep the same family sound across the front end although depending upon how many years old they are, you might find they sound nothing like each other due to the evolution of the speakers over those years.

If you want to move to some sweater speakers that are more inline with the av receiver, you could jump to Q Acoustics Q3050i which I feel will be a good match enabling you to still find a matching centre and surrounds if you wish to do so

As you've already got Jamo, the right suggestion should be to stay with Jamo and something like the S 805 might be a good starting point for you as it will enable you to keep the same family sound across the front end although depending upon how many years old they are, you might find they sound nothing like each other due to the evolution of the speakers over those years.

If you want to move to some sweater speakers that are more inline with the av receiver, you could jump to Q Acoustics Q3050i which I feel will be a good match enabling you to still find a matching centre and surrounds if you wish to do so
Reviving this as I never got around to buying any last year. Decided on bookshelf speakers now i've had a bit of a move around. I like the idea of the better Q speakers. Are the 3030i a good alternative to the 3050 floor standing ones?

The Q3030i really are a larger version of the 3020i and don't have the same depth as the 3050 speakers due to them have a dedicated bass reflex driver. The 3050i speakers are available with the Walnut versions now available at ÂŁ449 via our clearance page making them quite a bargain in truth

The Q3030i really are a larger version of the 3020i and don't have the same depth as the 3050 speakers due to them have a dedicated bass reflex driver. The 3050i speakers are available with the Walnut versions now available at ÂŁ449 via our clearance page making them quite a bargain in truth
I don't think I have the space for floorstanding speakers at the moment due to a rearrangement. Think I have to stick with bookshelf.

If that is the case, then the 3030i bookshelfs are a good pair of speaker with more range than their smaller sibling, just be aware that they won't deliver the same kind of depth as the size just restricts them as you'll find with most bookshelf speakers when comparing them to floorstands. One thing that might happen though is if the room is very small, then sometimes placing them into a small area can smother them and thus make them less dynamic as they cannot generate the levels they need thus making the smaller speaker the better option

If that is the case, then the 3030i bookshelfs are a good pair of speaker with more range than their smaller sibling, just be aware that they won't deliver the same kind of depth as the size just restricts them as you'll find with most bookshelf speakers when comparing them to floorstands. One thing that might happen though is if the room is very small, then sometimes placing them into a small area can smother them and thus make them less dynamic as they cannot generate the levels they need thus making the smaller speaker the better option
Not a huge room. 3m X 5m. Would the 3030i be a good choice to allow for future upgrade if i choose to implement a surround setup and clear space for the 3050i when funds allow, relegating the 3030i to rear surround speakers? Just thinking of future proofing as best I can

That would enable you to do everything you want and a room 3x5m is suffice for the 3050i speakers. So, your biggest problem at present is solving the spacing issue at the front of the room and once done, you're ready to bring surround sound to your room, but in the meantime, the 3030i speakers in this case will be a great addition :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom