1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice for SR4300

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MAParker, Jun 26, 2003.

1. MAParker

MAParker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all,

I'm giving some serious thought to purchasing a Marantz SR4300 a/v receiver, mainly due to the good reviews I've heard about it and also due to the current price r/s are selling it for.

As a student, I'm a bit tight for cash (gotta pay for the beer somehow :D ) and the purchasing of a surround system is intended to be my 21st birthday present later this year. I have little experience of home cinema other than my dvd player, reading HCC most months and the posts you guys place on this site. I reckon I'm probably gonna have around £500 max to spend on speakers.

Basically I need you guys advice. What speaker package would be good to go with this 80 watt amp. I'd prefer a set of traditional 'box' style speakers as opposed to slim-line. Also would prefer a separate sub. I'm being drawn towards a set of Missions (but not the cinema 6) although I'm open to suggestions about any other make.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying a 5.1 set and then purchasing another to act as the center surround. Is it better to get another front center or another rear surround for this job?

Apologies for the length of this message. I now lay the gauntlet down to you guys to suggest ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

2. philander

philander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission M7 series is very good pair with Marantz, I have heard it, I am using Marantz 4300 with wharfedales (budget). I like the sound of missions, you may also audition the Monitor Audio Bronze series, IMHO, its better than Missions.

Also, consider purchasing the 5300 instead of 4300. 5300 has 192khz/24-bit Crystal DAC while 4300 has 92khz/24-bit DAC. The 5300 has also OSD, though I know this is not important to sound quality. Another this is, System Remote of Marantz 4300 CANNOT control other A/V equipment while the 5300 CAN.

Well, trust your ears, audition all items (within your budget)available in your shops, then decide and trust your ears, after all you are the one who'll hear the system. And buy you really like overall, so you will not have a thoughts of curse while listening to a system you dont like.

3. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd also be tempted to the 5 series amp, the extra muscle is worth having (to my ears).

I'll second the Missions too, I run M73s on mine.

4. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ditto. I've got a SR5300 and M73's and am very happy with the sound