Speaker advice for L-shaped room

Ok just rerun audissey and now at -36db the atmos leaf trailer is pretty loud!!! Still center at +5ish

Ok just rerun audissey and now at -36db the atmos leaf trailer is pretty loud!!! Still center at +5ish
Is that -36dB the master volume level, with dynamic volume on?

Yes, dyn vol light
As a test - turn dynamic volume off. Then see what dB level the master volume has to be on to get a similar overall level of audio (when compared to on "light"). I'd estimate your master volume will be around -10 -20dB* (vs with it set to light).

this I assume is when watching broadcast TV ,*not Blu-ray discs

Not a big deal of a difference to be fair I mean I do have to bump up the volume a little to hear speech but then sounds are really loud - without dyn vol I mean. - edit: watching Dexter ep 1 blue ray without dyn vol at -26db, fearing the bangs!

The big difference in audissey was between calibrating on the AVR and calibrating it through the app. The app results were much louder, relatively speaking.

Last edited:
I quite like Dyn Vol, I know it's frowned upon by a lot of people but it works well for me! I do sometimes switch it off when it's movie time, if I remember that is!

I still need to run Audyssey for the C350, maybe tomorrow🤞. Also, I haven't noticed a difference across the front 3 despite the L/R being Q Acoustics, maybe it's my ears or the setup, or maybe they do actually match ok😄

I quite like Dyn Vol, I know it's frowned upon by a lot of people but it works well for me! I do sometimes switch it off when it's movie time, if I remember that is!

I still need to run Audyssey for the C350, maybe tomorrow🤞. Also, I haven't noticed a difference across the front 3 despite the L/R being Q Acoustics, maybe it's my ears or the setup, or maybe they do actually match ok😄

You got the editor app? Hope they will continue to sound similar so you will save lot of money then.

You got the editor app? Hope they will continue to sound similar so you will save lot of money then.
Yeah I've got the Ausyssey app, but I haven't used it yet😅 It sounds like it's a lot better than just using Audyssey on the AVR!
I'm still tempted to pick up a pair of Silver 300 when I have spare funds, if they're still about that is!

Yeah I've got the Ausyssey app, but I haven't used it yet😅 It sounds like it's a lot better than just using Audyssey on the AVR!
I'm still tempted to pick up a pair of Silver 300 when I have spare funds, if they're still about that is!

Maybe in new house then, they will come up as 2nd hand for sure as people will always swap gear..

Now you have perfect time to run the setup through the app rather than from receiver!

Watch and listen about 10min from 23:07 and you know what to do with the app! You might actually prefer the sound more with QAs too as you don´t use the Audussey`s target curve (full correction) and turn midrange comp. Off.

Maybe in new house then, they will come up as 2nd hand for sure as people will always swap gear..

Now you have perfect time to run the setup through the app rather than from receiver!

Watch and listen about 10min from 23:07 and you know what to do with the app! You might actually prefer the sound more with QAs too as you don´t use the Audussey`s target curve (full correction) and turn midrange comp. Off.

Thanks for the link, I'll watch it when the rugrats are in bed😄

I'm glad your enjoying the new speakers. Gasp got me to buy the same. silver C350 + 300, 4*c265idc ceiling speakers, monolith+ DF sub, all in white.

My extension is still being built so all those new speakers are still boxed up. The annoying part will be waiting till next year to see if AVR prices are more reasonable since I can only power 2 of the 4 ceiling speakers with my Denon x2300 :p

I'm glad your enjoying the new speakers. Gasp got me to buy the same. silver C350 + 300, 4*c265idc ceiling speakers, monolith+ DF sub, all in white.

My extension is still being built so all those new speakers are still boxed up. The annoying part will be waiting till next year to see if AVR prices are more reasonable since I can only power 2 of the 4 ceiling speakers with my Denon x2300 :p
Maybe he secretly works for Monitor Audio!🤣
He does a thorough reply though, always links and lots of info:smashin:

Maybe he secretly works for Monitor Audio!🤣
He does a thorough reply though, always links and lots of info:smashin:
It’s a conspiracy! @Gasp3621 thanks for the video very interesting I turned midrange compensation off and now experimenting with bypassing audissey above 400hz seems good for the c350, great tips! I love the app, much better than the AVR audissey.
@DarkConvict ouch! I complained because I had to leave the new speakers boxed for 5 days because of the new floor! I feel for you, read lots of reviews and tutorials in the meantime!

I've got a new floor too. Concrete takes 3 months to dry, then I can put down the actual flooring. So much waiting around.

Ok so after some initial fiddling I notice that bass sounds great but it is - understandably - very right centric. Short of getting a second sub, do you recommend any other sub placement? Currently I have it on top right corner on the right of the tv - see scheme above. Thanks!

Ok so after some initial fiddling I notice that bass sounds great but it is - understandably - very right centric. Short of getting a second sub, do you recommend any other sub placement? Currently I have it on top right corner on the right of the tv - see scheme above. Thanks!
You could download a copy of REW and configure the simulator, this will give you some guidance of,theoretically, where the best position might be.

So calling all great advisors in this thread! @Gasp3621 @Jester1066 @WozzaB @StefanBFC etc!

2 questions about sound being right centric:

1) I have a good improvement by sealing the back holes of the right front and surround speakers. Is it bad not to seal the left ones? Will I get a very unbalanced sound this way? It does not seem so, but just asking

2) Bass is still very localisable anyway. What am I better off doing?
a) move the PB around - but I have limited choice - I could try left of the TV, Left of the sofa perhaps?
b) Add a second sub (considering limited placement options, in which case which one is better:
b1): get a double gem from BK to place to the left of the sofa, basically under the surround, facing front or right // alternatively placing it behind the sofa since it's slim
b2) return the BK P12 and get two SVS 1000 pro to place at either side of the TV

Any other option?

Thank you!

So calling all great advisors in this thread! @Gasp3621 @Jester1066 @WozzaB @StefanBFC etc!

1) I have a good improvement by sealing the back holes of the right front and surround speakers. Is it bad not to seal the left ones? Will I get a very unbalanced sound this way? It does not seem so, but just asking

a) move the PB around - but I have limited choice - I could try left of the TV, Left of the sofa perhaps?
b) Add a second sub (considering limited placement options, in which case which one is better:
b1): get a double gem from BK to place to the left of the sofa, basically under the surround, facing front or right // alternatively placing it behind the sofa since it's slim
b2) return the BK P12 and get two SVS 1000 pro to place at either side of the TV

Any other option?

Thank you!
That's the first time anyone has called me a "great advisor"!😄

I think I missed the bit where you said you were getting issues with right side. So the right side sounds louder than the left overall? I have this with my right rear speaker as I sit closer to it, Audyssey should have taken care of it, but it wasn't perfect, so I just dropped the level a touch in the speaker settings until it balanced out with the left side.

With the sub, have you got everything setup correctly? I had one sub initially, front left corner loaded and I could tell where it was at first, but after a bit of tweaking it disappeared into the room.
2 subs usually help, but there's no guarantee that putting them either side of the TV will sound good.

The real "great advisors" will be along shortly!🤣

That's the first time anyone has called me a "great advisor"!😄

I think I missed the bit where you said you were getting issues with right side. So the right side sounds louder than the left overall? I have this with my right rear speaker as I sit closer to it, Audyssey should have taken care of it, but it wasn't perfect, so I just dropped the level a touch in the speaker settings until it balanced out with the left side.

With the sub, have you got everything setup correctly? I had one sub initially, front left corner loaded and I could tell where it was at first, but after a bit of tweaking it disappeared into the room.
2 subs usually help, but there's no guarantee that putting them either side of the TV will sound good.

The real "great advisors" will be along shortly!🤣
Thank you! Yes the right side is basically fuller and I can precisely pin the origin of the bass. The right surround is indeed 30cm closer. Audissey picked it up and ... decreased the dbs of the left one!!! I readjusted it a bit but that does not seem to be the main issue.

Plugs help, because at least there is no added reflection bass coming from the right wall that has no equivalent from the left.

What sort of tweaking did you do to the bass to make it disappear into the room?

I should also try to move the sub to the left of the TV, but it's huge and it'll bulge out!

Any other option?

Thank you!
My thoughts:

1. This very much trial and error. Once you "bung" the rear port(s). I'd re run Audessey. If you do it via the app you can essentially save a calibration file with the bungs and 1 without. That way you can easily A/B test both configurations simply by uploading each calibration file to the AVR) 👍🏼

2. As @WozzaB says - its worth checking your current sub is set up correctly. Post your calibrated sub info here. In case there's an obvious setting tweek you've missed etc.

In the main dual subs usually do help flatten any bass null & peaks you may have. The room sim in REW can be useful, but may prove inconclusive as you have an L shaped room.

The Gems are great subs, but will imo lack the low end you get with your current P12 (assuming it's the PR version). Tom @ BK will give good advice on best sub in your situation, so I'd chat to him.

Fwiw, I had a P12-300SB-PR. Like you, I couldn't fit a 2nd in (due to space) so I opted for 2x SVS SB2000 PRO'S. Mine are positioned on the front wall ¼ distance inside the main L&R speakers. As an owner I can highly recommend these (and indeed any of the Pro SVS subs). The benefit of them. Is:

A: Their smaller footprint,
B: they go deeper in terms of frequency then the BK's
C: They have onboard DSP in the form of a 3 band PEQ which you can adjust to help with those peaks and nulls you may have. Ideally you need to use a mic like a Umik 1 to meassure the subs response. They are a worthwile investment though and easily sold for little or no loss financially.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes the right side is basically fuller and I can precisely pin the origin of the bass. The right surround is indeed 30cm closer. Audissey picked it up and ... decreased the dbs of the left one!!! I readjusted it a bit but that does not seem to be the main issue.

Plugs help, because at least there is no added reflection bass coming from the right wall that has no equivalent from the left.

What sort of tweaking did you do to the bass to make it disappear into the room?

I should also try to move the sub to the left of the TV, but it's huge and it'll bulge out!
Ah I see, I thought you meant the bass issue was just the sub! Try what @Jester1066 suggested and bung them and run Audyssey:smashin:
That's the good thing, there's loads to tweak, so you'll probably get it sounding great!

I can't remember exactly what helped my sub, I think I had a basic setting wrong possibly.

I would definitely be moving that sub about to try a few positions before looking at buying other subs though, perfect time to find a good location while you have a sub in the room!
A 10m sub lead is only about £10 and you could then try it all over the place, power socket permitting of course.
Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8IIU

A 10m sub lead is only about £10 and you could then try it all over the place, power socket permitting of course.
If you added 1 of these:

Masterplug MCT1010/4BL-MP Four Socket Cassette Reel Extension Lead, 10 Metres, Blue Amazon product ASIN B001D4PSUY
You'll have no issues if there's no nearby power socket 🤣😉

78B85950-BD69-49DA-BEFC-6279AE638370.png
Thank you! Yes I actually have a good deal of sockets around so it should not be a problem. I also have a 5m lead, will get a longer one if needed! Settings now. Room correction attached.
All speakers set to small, crossover at 80hz for all but tops, which are at 200hz. Sub set to LFE, 120hz. On sub: filter to OUT, gain 1/3, filter at max 120hz (but should be bypassed). Auto sense on. Phase to 0. Any other settings I should mention?

Edit: @Jester1066 @WozzaB the only things that looks a bit off in the graphs above is the big dip at 100hz

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom