Speaker advice for L-shaped room

I think it set my subs about -9db, and I bumped them to -4db, that sounded great at normal volumes, but overpowered everything when I raised the volume! So now I'm back down to -6db.
I'll take your "findings" under advisement 👍🏼

Really enjoying the C350 so far, still haven't had a chance to run Audyssey either!
So much more detail than the Q3090ci, hearing little bits and pieces that I don't remember hearing so pronounced before, also more impact when things get going as well.

I had the 3090ci at 90hz, but when I lowered the crossover to 80hz for the C350, I seem to be getting a bit of extra bass from the subs? Maybe I'm imagining it!

Hope you don't mind the posts here @Xexets 😅

Thanks - I don’t mind the posts at all I love this thread and how discussions are overlapping, it's very constructive!

Yes, I usually leave the sub a little under powered, like Audissey puts it, I feel the bass is enough for my taste.

Dyn EQ on, I like it. Dyn Vol I used to have it off with the cube speakers but now with the big boys it's set to medium and works very well for my taste.

I notice that Audissey bumps everything down basically by 7/8 dbs (probably because of the short listening distance). This way I have to bring the amp vol up to 60-65 to get decent volume. Is it the same if I just bring individual speakers volumes up manually maintaining the differences Audissey set? (e.g. Front R -7.5 goes to 0, Fron L -6.5 goes to +1, etc)? This way I can keep the overall volume much lower and it seems to draw less current. It might be my impression but it also sounds a little better - fuller and more coherent, but that might just be pure placebo. I just wondered if this is equivalent.

Dynamic Volume usually recommended only for late night listening / loud commercials (evening tv).

Change the volume display setting to other one, hate when it enables the wrong one.

Don´t change the speaker levels.

Thanks - I don’t mind the posts at all I love this thread and how discussions are overlapping, it's very constructive!

Yes, I usually leave the sub a little under powered, like Audissey puts it, I feel the bass is enough for my taste.

Dyn EQ on, I like it. Dyn Vol I used to have it off with the cube speakers but now with the big boys it's set to medium and works very well for my taste.

I notice that Audissey bumps everything down basically by 7/8 dbs (probably because of the short listening distance). This way I have to bring the amp vol up to 60-65 to get decent volume. Is it the same if I just bring individual speakers volumes up manually maintaining the differences Audissey set? (e.g. Front R -7.5 goes to 0, Fron L -6.5 goes to +1, etc)? This way I can keep the overall volume much lower and it seems to draw less current. It might be my impression but it also sounds a little better - fuller and more coherent, but that might just be pure placebo. I just wondered if this is equivalent.
Blimey, with the volume at 65 the whole room is shaking! Depending on source, 40 starts getting interesting volume wise.
65 Volume is -15db on the other scale that @Gasp3621 mentioned.

Out of curiosity what are your normal volume levels - say from night film watching to room shaking? I would say 35-40 night listening, 45-50 normal listening 55-60 uncomfortably loud with my cube speakers. Now, with audissey settings at -17db it’s ok perhaps a tad loud at times, it’s strange it’s like I need to increase the volume compare to the cubes to obtain the same sound pressure?

Out of curiosity what are your normal volume levels - say from night film watching to room shaking? I would say 35-40 night listening, 45-50 normal listening 55-60 uncomfortably loud with my cube speakers. Now, with audissey settings at -17db it’s ok perhaps a tad loud at times, it’s strange it’s like I need to increase the volume compare to the cubes to obtain the same sound pressure?
Night time would be no more than 30-36(I don't do odd numbers!😅), normal around 36-46 and proper movie time would be around 60-66.

Change your volume scale to the dB rating - it'll make more sense to a lot of people reading this thread. Eg on the dB scale 0dB is classed as calibrated reference level, (or very loud!) no matter what the setup.

On the dB scale, my listening levels - in a 5.2 4 speaker configuration are:

Broadcast TV: anywhere from -20 to -10dB
Bluray: -25 to -30dB (Discs usually have better mastered audio tracks)

Night levels are usually circa 5 to 10dB lower then those mentioned above.

Having said this. I do need to rerun Audessey - so these levels may change! 🤣👍🏼😉

Edit I don't use dynamic volume etc either.

Last edited:
@Jester1066 and @Xexets do you have these dynamic compression settings "On" which Steve W. warned in the X4700H review?

He said:

"Also make sure the Loudness Management and Dynamic Compression settings are turned off" "It was madness and I told Denon so! No one buys an AVR to then have their dynamic range compressed. I believe they are working on a firmware update so that the default is off, as it should be."

"It's not just the Audyssey setting, which can be turned off when running Audyssey, there's also the Dolby Volume setting that needs to be checked."

Not sure about the Dolby Volume. Maybe he mixed it to Dynamic Volume?

Loudness Management & Dynamic Compression can be found here and can be changed during movie when paused.

@Jester1066 and @Xexets do you have these dynamic compression settings "On" which Steve W. warned in the X4700H review?

He said:

"Also make sure the Loudness Management and Dynamic Compression settings are turned off" "It was madness and I told Denon so! No one buys an AVR to then have their dynamic range compressed. I believe they are working on a firmware update so that the default is off, as it should be."

"It's not just the Audyssey setting, which can be turned off when running Audyssey, there's also the Dolby Volume setting that needs to be checked."

Not sure about the Dolby Volume. Maybe he mixed it to Dynamic Volume?

Loudness Management & Dynamic Compression can be found here and can be changed during movie when paused.

I have both Loudness Management, Dynamic Volume & Dynamic compression all turned off

Loudness management is OFF, dyn EQ ON, dyn volume I am playing around with it, but normally light or medium. When off there is just too much difference between quiet and loud scenes. Good in a cinema room in a detached house, not very sustainable in a semi! :)

More than anything else in anything else I always had trouble with the center channel - and it is still the case with the C350. Audissey always always always sets it too low. Normally to get speech not overwhelmed by everything else I have to increase center at +5db compared to what Audissey gives. I read elsewhere that that is often the case? It happened to me with every single set up and AVR with Audissey.

With the center channel at +5db and Dyn vol at light I have a very consistent listening experience, without loud bangs and inaudible speech. -17dbs give or take.

Loudness management is OFF, dyn EQ ON, dyn volume I am playing around with it, but normally light or medium. When off there is just too much difference between quiet and loud scenes. Good in a cinema room in a detached house, not very sustainable in a semi! :)

More than anything else in anything else I always had trouble with the center channel - and it is still the case with the C350. Audissey always always always sets it too low. Normally to get speech not overwhelmed by everything else I have to increase center at +5db compared to what Audissey gives. I read elsewhere that that is often the case? It happened to me with every single set up and AVR with Audissey.

With the center channel at +5db and Dyn vol at light I have a very consistent listening experience, without loud bangs and inaudible speech. -17dbs give or take.

Bit strange to have to boost it so much. Also that master volume level seems rather high. I would run in to serious problems with neighbours with those levels (-17db).

Other settings.. You got the Audussey LFC Off? ECO mode Off?

Last edited:
Bit strange to have to boost it so much. Also that master volume level seems rather high. I would run in to serious problems with neighbours with those levels (-17db).

Other settings.. You got the Audussey LFC Off? ECO mode Off?
Yes both off. That’s the thing, audissey pops all speakers very low (-4/-7db). If I leave them like that I have to go all the way up to -17db to get a good volume - which I did not have to do with smaller speakers. Otherwise I can crank to 0/+x individual speakers (maintaining the differences tested with audissey) and then I get the volume that I would expect.

I've got my centre bumped up 2db I think, it does seem to set the centre a bit low 🤔

I've got my centre bumped up 2db I think, it does seem to set the centre a bit low 🤔
What level did Audessey set the centre to prior to you changing it?

How far away from the speakers do you normally sit?

Last edited:
Yes both off. That’s the thing, audissey pops all speakers very low (-4/-7db).
I sit around 10ft from my speakers (Silver 300 & C350)... Audessey set them all arround -4.5dB. Which means my listening levels are as described in post #110.

This is more than adequate for me. I appreciate different room, speaker layout & sensitivity will be a factor, but those Audessey set levels of yours do seem "normal"

What AVR do you have?

What level did Audessey set the centre to prior to you changing it?

How far away from the speakers do you normally sit?
I think it set the centre to - 5db as it's on - 3db now, I sit about 11ft away

A 2dB increase on centre is (imo) fine. Especially when considering the audio quality of source material (particularly broadcast TV) varies massively. Purists will no doubt disagree, but "if it works for you" that's all that matters!

Yes both off. That’s the thing, audissey pops all speakers very low (-4/-7db). If I leave them like that I have to go all the way up to -17db to get a good volume - which I did not have to do with smaller speakers. Otherwise I can crank to 0/+x individual speakers (maintaining the differences tested with audissey) and then I get the volume that I would expect.

If in doubt and you want to set the levels in way most professionals does, then purchase decent quality SPL meter which has c-weighting and slow response, you also need some mic stand to put the SPL meter on.

Yes, Audissey set mine to -7.5db and I a bit less than 2m away.

But to be fair I have set up system with Audissey for some years now (for my in-law - so different speakers and different environment, and for myself - with different AVRs, speakers and in different environments) and consistently I need to increase the centre 3 to 5dbs compared to what Audissey set it to in order to avoid speaking being overwhelmed by sound effects.

Sub is usually always in the region of -6.5, which I find ok-ish.

Yes, Audissey set mine to -7.5db and I a bit less than 2m away.

But to be fair I have set up system with Audissey for some years now (for my in-law - so different speakers and different environment, and for myself - with different AVRs, speakers and in different environments) and consistently I need to increase the centre 3 to 5dbs compared to what Audissey set it to in order to avoid speaking being overwhelmed by sound effects.

I guess it doesn't drop mine as much as I'm sitting nearly 3.5m away? You've got me fiddling with the centre level now as well!😅
I need to re-run Audyssey first though!

Yes this is spot on, although most people feel the need to run it 3-6db hotter, but people have different tastes so it´s easy to tweak it from menu.. :)

5db boost still high for centre, but if it sounds good now then just enjoy and stop tweaking.

Yes this is spot on, although most people feel the need to run it 3-6db hotter, but people have different tastes so it´s easy to tweak it from menu.. :)

5db boost still high for centre, but if it sounds good now then just enjoy and stop tweaking.
'Stop tweaking'?!?! what are we SOUNDBAR USERS??!?!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom