Speaker advice for L-shaped room

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So calling all great advisors in this thread! @Gasp3621 @Jester1066 @WozzaB @StefanBFC etc!

2 questions about sound being right centric:

1) I have a good improvement by sealing the back holes of the right front and surround speakers. Is it bad not to seal the left ones? Will I get a very unbalanced sound this way? It does not seem so, but just asking

2) Bass is still very localisable anyway. What am I better off doing?
a) move the PB around - but I have limited choice - I could try left of the TV, Left of the sofa perhaps?
b) Add a second sub (considering limited placement options, in which case which one is better:
b1): get a double gem from BK to place to the left of the sofa, basically under the surround, facing front or right // alternatively placing it behind the sofa since it's slim
b2) return the BK P12 and get two SVS 1000 pro to place at either side of the TV

Any other option?

Thank you!

This sounds silly to use bungs in just certain speakers. I would question the use of bungs completely as you aren`t running them full range either and you have XT32 which should correct that bass region if boosted do to speakers close to walls. Ditch bungs or use them in both if you really hear difference!

Usually the sub locates even easier if you have it near at the rear either side so two each side would be prefered by most folks. The left side of tv may work, but it won`t sound as strong vs. corner loading as it won`t meet the other wall plus is now closer to opening (usually not best idea) and it can be hit or miss what kind of response you get.The editor app before graph gives you some idea, the after is simulated = useless as in too good to be true. Shame you don`t have space between center and right front speaker. You don`T want to spread the main L/R speakers further apart than what is distance to listener, in your case as you sit so close perhaps equilateral triangle is close to ideal (From L to R to listener), but if there is chance that you could move the sub in new position then you might have to compromise..

Xexets

This sounds silly to use bungs in just certain speakers. I would question the use of bungs completely as you aren`t running them full range either and you have XT32 which should correct that bass region if boosted do to speakers close to walls. Ditch bungs or use them in both if you really hear difference!

Usually the sub locates even easier if you have it near at the rear either side so two each side would be prefered by most folks. The left side of tv may work, but it won`t sound as strong vs. corner loading as it won`t meet the other wall plus is now closer to opening (usually not best idea) and it can be hit or miss what kind of response you get.The editor app before graph gives you some idea, the after is simulated = useless as in too good to be true. Shame you don`t have space between center and right front speaker. You don`T want to spread the main L/R speakers further apart than what is distance to listener, in your case as you sit so close perhaps equilateral triangle is close to ideal (From L to R to listener), but if there is chance that you could move the sub in new position then you might have to compromise..
Thanks! Well I did hear a bit of a difference with the bungs on right side, but it might just have been placebo.
I do have space between right and centre speaker, just about really, but it's 45-50cm, just what I need to place the sub. It might look crammed but I could try.
I was thinking of trying the sub first between center and right speaker and then center and left speaker and see what's the overall effect. My previous crappy sub was between center and right speaker.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks! Well I did hear a bit of a difference with the bungs on right side, but it might just have been placebo.
I do have space between right and centre speaker, just about really, but it's 45-50cm, just what I need to place the sub. It might look crammed but I could try.
I was thinking of trying the sub first between center and right speaker and then center and left speaker and see what's the overall effect. My previous crappy sub was between center and right speaker.

Center and right speaker try that. Run Audussey again.

What is the "subwoofer level" now if you go to Denon menu? Not sure did we talk about this earlier.. Too many posts.

Xexets

C**p! I have a new problem now I fear the BK is going back. Just noticed when checking sub volume for audissey. Subwoofer consistently vibrates at certain frequencies. If I touch the cone or apply little pressure on the passive cone vibration stops… there must be something loose
inside, on top of the buzzing transformer!

Trying to upload video but can’t because of unsupported extension.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hmmm. It acts like a port, it´s not powered driver so you can´t compare it to your front firing active driver!

Xexets

Yes I know, what I meant is that inside the sub there must be something rattling that is connected to the air movement inside the sub, which I attenuate by limiting the movement of either cone!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes I know, what I meant is that inside the sub there must be something rattling that is connected to the air movement inside the sub, which I attenuate by limiting the movement of either cone!

Tough to say, you can take the bottom driver out and check inside if some rattling noise when you watch something..

Jester1066

Tough to say, you can take the bottom driver out and check inside if some rattling noise when you watch something..
If its a brand new sub from BK, I'd just call them and get a repair/replacement under warranty. BK were fab with returns (when they sent me the wrong colour sub a few years back!).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There could be something visible loose which can be fixed in few minutes so i would have a look. Painfull to send that big box back there and be without subwoofer until january as they leave vacation in few week time.

Jester1066

There could be something visible loose which can be fixed in few minutes so i would have a look. Painfull to send that big box back there and be without subwoofer until january as they leave vacation in few week time.
True. But I'm not sure if opening up the sub would potentially invalidate the warranty. Maybe worth giving BK a call to discuss. My return to BK was completely free. Both in terms of hassle and cost. The DPD driver delivered the new sub and collected the incorrect coloured sub on the same day!

Xexets

Thank you all, yes, I’ll have a word with BK Monday morning to discuss. I won’t open it under their guidance I might be able to fix something (I am medium tech-savvy) but since it’s not even 14 days old I’d rather they authorise me to fiddle. If not back it’ll go!

Jester1066

Thank you all, yes, I’ll have a word with BK Monday morning to discuss. I won’t open it under their guidance I might be able to fix something (I am medium tech-savvy) but since it’s not even 14 days old I’d rather they authorise me to fiddle. If not back it’ll go!
Tom will sort it out.

I'd keep that video you uploaded handy, might prove useful to show them the issue.

Xexets

Tom was very nice on the phone. He said to wait for the DC blocker cable to arrive. If that works then I can send back the sub and he'll build the DC blocker in and check the rattling. If that does not work he'll take the unit back and fix both transformer and cone!

Jester1066

Tom was very nice on the phone. He said to wait for the DC blocker cable to arrive. If that works then I can send back the sub and he'll build the DC blocker in and check the rattling. If that does not work he'll take the unit back and fix both transformer and cone!
Told you he was a top bloke!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

They should give those dc blockers with every products when customer buys them. For some reason almost everyone has buzzing units. But yeah no suprises there good service as always so you are taken care of.

Xexets

They should give those dc blockers with every products when customer buys them. For some reason almost everyone has buzzing units. But yeah no suprises there good service as always so you are taken care of.
So just tried their supplied DC blocker and I think it did help a bit (now does not seem to pick up waves of current when washing machine is on) but the transformer buzzing is definitely still there. Just spoke with Tom, they'll be collecting the unit tomorrow. Seems that they are building another one to send it out asap, while they figure out what's wrong with mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom