1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPDIF - Wassat ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CatDog, Oct 21, 2003.

1. CatDog

CatDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My cheap and cheeful dvd player has some confusing setup options and a totally usesless manual, so can any explain about spdif out please ?

I'm using an optical out cable to my DD system, and it seems to work OK when I set SPDIF out to PCM or RAW (but it does sound different) I can also choose 48/96 output rate for the pcm rate.

Anyone know what its all about please (or do I just go with what sounds best) ?

2. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is the standard used to transfer audio in a digital format.

I would suggest you set your DVD player to RAW as your DD amp wlll then convert the signal as needed. Setting to PCM (pulse code modulation) will probably involve conversion at the DVD player and may mean you will lose the 5.1 sound track and end up with 2 channel stero.

The 48/96 setting is samplying rate used when converting the analogue signal to digtal, 96 is better but it may not be supported by your amp.

The above is my best guess so I will stand corrected if wrong.