• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SPDIF (S/PDIF) outputs 2 channels?

only1hammy

Hi.

So I'm trying to use SPDIF passthrough (optical) to get DTS 5.1 from my PC to my Z-5400 sub. Ideally I want the sub to be doing all the decoding.

The control station of my receiver shows dts 3/2 when I use ac3filter with 'Use SPDIF' checked, and sound comes from all 5.1 sources. However, the Pin Info (Out) in ac3filter shows "Audio: 0x0092 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps".

Does this simply mean the DTS 5.1 information is being sent on 2 channels and then decoded at the sub, or something else is going on?

Thanks.

Blitzmage

SPDIF naturally only has enough bandwidth to send out uncompressed 2 channel audio. The way they pump 5.1 through it is encoding formats like Dolby Digital and DTS. It will play 5.1 when it has a 5.1 DD or a DTS encoded source going through optical.
Whenever it doesn't it is just 2 channel stereo which is why you see that infomation.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom