1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPDIF question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by onewingedangel, Jun 27, 2004.

1. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Is it possible to playback CD's, MP3's etc, and output the audio via SPDIF to my amp. Ideally I would like my amp and speakers to replace my pc speakers, but I can only get DVD soundtracks to output via the SPDIF that is integrated onto the motherboard, is there a solution?

2. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure. With my Audigy 2 ZS, I can output stereo sound through the optical S/PDIF connector (haven't tried coax, but it should work). It is active by default on mine. You won't get 5.1 sound out unless you have an NForce 1 or 2 motherboard.

As for the question of no output: have a look in all your sound driver settings for options like 'enable digital out' and 'S/PDIF-something'. What make and model of board is it? (as I might be able to experiment on a friend's PC)

3. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The motherboard is a columbia II motherboard, made by Gigabyte for Packard Bell PC's. Having looked through all the settings there seems no options i thedriver, there are many options for 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,speaker setups, but no spdif option. To turn spdif on, I have t do it through the software, ie. PowerDVD or windows media player. These packages are only outputting spdif for DVD's though.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    have a check in the audio options in control panel.. you'll need to tell windows to output via spdif to get it working..

if you dont have an SPDIF option, try 'no speakers' if it's there.. :)

5. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Gigabyte motherboard with the SPDIF setup, It works ok, but with a non digital sound, It occasionally breaks up, though this may be something I'm doing wrong!!.

Using it with PowerDVD however there is no break up and my Yamaha AMP auto switches to Dolby DGTL(AC3) and there is no problem.

6. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ive tried all the settings in control panel, but I can't see one to enable spdif. Selecting no speakers doesn't work either. Maybe this is a driver issue, but the one avaliable on the packard bell website didn't help. But the specs on the site do say the spdif is for pcm and ac3, so it should be possible to output the sound in pcm format. Other than that it may be a software problem, as the spdif works when enabled in software, but can only be used for dvd playback. Does anyone have any possible solutions?

7. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HTPC has an Nforce chipset and an SPDIF output on a riser card, this outputs however I want from a control panel extension,
    I'd suggest a reinstall as you may have some kind of driver conflict.