1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPDIF problems: NO Sound At All or Sound Delay

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Julia, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't managed yet to make the SPDIF connections to work properly on my HCPC and I would welcome any helpful suggestions.

I have 2 problems:

Problem 1

SoundBlaster Audigy MP3 - I cannot get SPDIF output AT ALL. :( Followed all Sound Blaster instructions, tried one of the ac3 files and it does not work. It have tried to play a DVD and there was still no sound. Just for imformation I'm using a Coaxial cable linked to a Kenwood 9060 receiver.

Problem 2

I CAN get SPDIF output through the motherboard sound card (AC97). The problem is that using TheaterTek the sound has about 2-3 seconds delay from the video. :(

Any ideas on how I can improve things most welcome!

Julia

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    With the motherboard spdif have you tried both directsound and wave output? I get a delay with wave but directsound is fine.

Jeff

3. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for replying.

I tried directsound last night, but I had no joy. For some reason I cannot save the change of audio settings in Theatertek (I choose the directsound option, then apply, then exit TT and when I open again TT, the option directsound is gone, it's not saved).

I've tried this several times, rebooting the PC, but still it did not work.

So from this point of view this is a TT problem for not saving configuration changes...:(

Please help,

Julia

4. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got SPDIF working last night!:) :)

What did the trick was an update to the latest driver for AC/97 (driver released on 10 Jan 2003). My impression was that this functionality was missing all togheter in the previous version, as now you can see a new tab sheet called SPDIF OUT in the Settings window (tab sheet that was not there before!).

But now it's working with TT and everything is fine. At last we can use the speakers to put our sound system in place.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in performance between the SPDIF from the motherboard, compared to the SPDIF from a sound card?
    I'm thinking that it's digital and it shouldn't matter, but maybe someone has another idea?

Julia