1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPDIF output ?? Optical ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Elfminster, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Elfminster

Elfminster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help a n00b please.

I bought the Sony htk-475 pack, and was looking forward to digitally connecting it to my Soundblaster Audigy Player.

The problem is that the digital connection on my Soundcard is round (SPDIF output) and the one on my AV is square! I am using analogue leads at the moment, but is the only answer to fix this to buy a Soundblaster card with optical out or is there a lead to convert it ?

Thanks in advance,

A newbie.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sony seems obsessed with optical connections! Most amps have coaxial digital input (RCA socket, round phono style) on the amp, but knowing sony it wouldn't suprise me if it's only got optical (square hole). Coaxial is usually better becasuse it doesn't have to convert the signal into light and back from light into signal again. Anyway, what you need is a coaxial to optical converter (and a couple of cables), available from Maplin, have a look on their (terrible) website http://www.maplin.co.uk or best bet is to pop into one of their shops and ask the assistant.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think they are both optical (if I understood correctly), one is round shaped, one squarisch.
    Check with electronic or hifi stores for matching adapter cables, surely they are available.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Soundblaster Audigy outputs a SPDIF signal from one of the jack sockets (the one for the center/bass speaker). What you need is a Jack plug to RCA lead (use the white rca plug on a stereo jack to RCA lead), and a converter to convert coaxial RCA to optical to plug it in the amp. Also remember to tick "Digital Output Only" in creative surround mixer, and inside settings untick "AC3-Decode", and in your dvd player software make sure SPDIF output is selected. Whew!

P.S. you'll only get surround sound with DVD's by doing this, you'll only get stereo from your games.

5. Elfminster

Elfminster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah thanks for all the help and advice! Really appreciated.

I have since found out that the reciever used in the Sony HTK-475 package has a coaxial digital aswell as an optical in - I wanred you I was a newbie.

I took a trip down to my local maplins, and although they were out of stock, they told me that I needed a S/PDIF jack to coaxial RCA lead.

I wish Creative would have put an optical output on it's Audigy Player instead of S/PDIF (or aswell as) - it would have made my life so much easier because Maplins had dozens of optical to optical leads!

Cheers!