SPDIF Output Device: Not Detected

I

impressme

Hey forum members,

Having some trouble with SPDIF out on my PC to external receiver. I can duplicate the problem on two different sound cards. Problem first experienced on Creative OEM Audigy 1, then duplicated on M-Audio Revolution 7.1.

I can no longer decode DD/DTS to the external receiver, although audio still passes though the SPDIF connector on the sound card no matter what kind of audio is being played. Even playing a DVD you will hear audio, but it sounds more like 5 channel stereo. In PowerDVD 6 in the Configuration Information tab, it says "SPDIF output Device: Not Detected". For example when it was working, it would say "SPDIF Output Device: M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (not in use)".

I decided to rebuild the XP machine still with the Audigy installed. Installed most up-to-date drivers, Windows Updates, applications I use frequently and it worked! Then a day or two later, the same problem again. So I swapped in the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and same problem. I rebuilt the machine again but with the Revolution 7.1 sound card repeating previous installation, and it worked as well! And then a day or two later, the same problem returns. It will no longer pass DD/DTS though to external receiver to be decoded. No settings have been changed!

I even tried Installing a version of WinDVD in addition to PowerDVD and the SPDIF out option was greyed out, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with either DVD software application. It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue either since I can duplicate the problem on two different sound cards. From what I can see, it's a Windows XP issue.

Disconnected the SPDIF cable from the PC and connected it to an external DVD player. It decodes DD/DTS without trouble!

I'm really stumped and I need some good suggestions! I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm getting desperate!

Thank you in advance,

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom