1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPDIF out

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jasoncp, Jan 3, 2003.

1. jasoncp

jasoncp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    can anyone recommend a sound card with a good quality spdif out all i want is good quality sound routed to my amp

not realy interested in it doing much else

dont want to spend 100 quid on something when prob a 30 quid card can do just a good a job

cheers

jason

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips Rhythmic Edge PSC703 from dabs at £32 has a co-ax spdif out. I have the acoustic edge which is very good but the Rhythmic Edge may do what you want search at http://www.philips.co.uk for more info.

Dave

3. phcjpp

phcjpp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word of warning with teh accoustic edge - if you want to have both DolDig and say MP3 over SPDIF you will need to keep playing wit the control panel - it does not auto-switch - I dumped my accoustic edge over this.

4. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also just need co-ax out to run to seperate decoder. The thing I want to know is whether or not there are any sound quality differences between a £30 philips card and say an M-Audio revolution when used just for SPDIF out via co-ax.

5. phcjpp

phcjpp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to avoid being flamed I think the consensus is that for DD/DTS it doesn't really matter too much but for CD playback it does unless you are playing into something that can buffer and reclock the signal like the meridian series of pre-amps - I think Tag does this too.

So in summary the sound card does matter if you are playing CDs into an external amp over SPDIF.

I use the Digi RME pad for the job.

Chris