1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spdif in

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BBCuk2day, Oct 4, 2003.

1. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the best soundcard for spdif in as i would like to connect the optical out on my amp to my computer so the spdif in must be optical unless there is a dongle of some kind to change optical to coax!
    I would like it to be quite cheap as thats all it will be used for as i have audigy 2 for gaming and music etc

I have found this Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun 6Ch Sound Card for £27 any1 have any knowledge of whether the quality of the input will be good?

2. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about which soundcard, but as far as dongles go, I have just the thing for you!

I'm using a convertor available from maplins to take the audio from my Soundblaster Live (SPDIF) into my Sony AV Amp (Optical)

The maplin part number is QN17T and the price is 14.99 including the mains adapter. I then added a 5 metre toslink - toslink cable from Maplins for 12.99. Got the PC setup to output all audio on the SPDIF, and have enabled 5.1 passthrough, so the PC delivers the raw audio signal to the amp for decoding.

I know this may not be an audiophile's solution, but it works, and it's also reasonably cheap to do.

Tony

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  4. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the advise guys will av a look into those converters!
    Any know if there is any difference between digital inputs on different soundcards? For e.g the aureon 5.1 fun and the aureon 7.1 sky??

5. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Aureon and have been pretty happy with it so far (only bought it for the optical In / out)

Just troubleshooting a problem (see other thread from today) where I can't get any AC3 streams out from the PC to my Lexicon processor... even tho it passes PCM and AC3 from the Sky+ with no probs.

Terratec support suggested changing PCI slotsand disabling a few unused things.
    Will try tonite

Steve

There was another card recommended from TRUST which has both coax and optical digital although one of these (or both) were ribboned to a separate plate which might be a problem if you don't have extra spare slot free