SPDIF In Volume Problem with Asus Xonar D2X

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jacal, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jacal

jacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I've just installed a new setup and am having some volume issues. My set up is as follows:

Windows Vista with Asus Xonar D2X soundcard. I have a 5.1 speaker system plugged into the three analog outputs on the back of the card. I have just purchased a Toshiba 26" LCD to use as both a TV and a computer monitor. Hence, I wanted the TV audio to be heard through my 5.1 setup. To do this I have run a TOSLINK optical cable from the Digital Audio output of the TV into the SPDIF Input on the xonar soundcard. In windows when I check the "Monitoring" box on the SPDIF Input I can hear the TV audio through the speakers very clearly. My problem is that it is extremely loud, and I cannot work out how to decrease the volume. When the volume on my speakers is at its lowest it is still too loud. From the control panel in the "Sounds" menu, I have set dragged the slider for SPDIF all the way down, and it does not change the volume. I even tried muting it, and the sound still came out loud! From within the actual Xonar D2X control panel, the SPDIF input does not have a volume slider.

My questions is does anybody know how I can lower the volume?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  2. jacal

jacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on, at least some suggestions would be helpful?!

3. jalyst

jalyst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    how'd you go in the end? :)
    hey do you know if this card can decode dd/dts 5.1 via s/pdif-in?

4. mcnoiserdc

mcnoiserdc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    have you tried to control the volume on your tv too. I mean you can try the volume on the tv remote.

Another thing, can you connect a dvd player, a console or something like that to let us know if this card can decode spdif in from 5.1?