SPDIF cutout every 5 minutes - help!

crazyal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya

Unsure where this thread should live as it involves both Hi-fi & HTPC components...

Have my HTPC hooked into my Pioneer 1014 amp via SPDIF output from the HTPC onboard soundcard.

Whilst watching a DVD, the sound will cut for a split second every 5 minutes exactly whilst watching a DVD. Any ideas as to where the problem could lie? I've looked in the Amp manual and can't find anything about timing and can't see any relevant settings in Windows Media 2005 either in the system setup or the sound card options. Standard stereo through the amp is fine if playing Sky television etc., it just seems to be when using SPDIF output. I'm using PowerDVD V5 software that came as part of the WMC capture card.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Dont quote me on this, but it maybe because onboard sound uses ure cpu, which could cause it to cut out now and again, i have the same problem when my cpu is doing several processes at one time, whilst playing audio.

I have a seperate soundcard available deejah, I'll pop that in and use the SPDIF off that card and report back on how I get on.

Cheers.

What refresh rate are you using and what material? PAL or NTSC

Software decoders will, in order to keep video in sync with audio, occasionally drop a frame. This could be a video frame or over SPdif an audio frame (32ms).

The only way to combat this is to run the video material in sync with the refresh rate so that you dont get video stutter or audio drops.

Hi drummerjohn

I'm using a refresh rate of 60Hz and using both PAL & NTSC DVD's with the same result.

I'm using Powerstrip to get the 1:1 pixel mapping to match the plasma resolution.

Picture output is via VGA to the plasma.

Cheers

Try installing Reclock (you'll find lots of refernce on here and at AVS) it should help maintain sync.

Yeah - Reclock will probably sort it. Frist though try these...

I would certainly try a sound card first if you have one lying around not doing anything.

Secondly, in Powerstrip goto Adapter properties and cycle through to your gfx card. Untick the read only box and change the latency from 248 to 128 and see if that helps.

Thanks Mr.D - seeing as how your fix is quicker than swapping out a PCI sound card I'll try that first and report back later...

Reclock and another soundcard gave no difference. Still looking for a solution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom