1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spdif adapter module for Gigabyte GA-6IEML ??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cosmic023, Mar 29, 2003.

1. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I'm trying to build a HTPC, and need some info.

I need to know where i can get an spdif adapter for this board ?? Is there one available ?? If so where can i get one ??

If not, could i go DIY if i could get the parts to build a cable ?? Would it be worth doing ?? What's the quality like ??

A M-Audio card would be nice, but a lack of cash means i have to use what is available.

I also have a Turtle Beach Montego II card as well i could use ?? What are your thoughts ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    What about this MPEG2 card ?? Could i solve my digital audio problems with this ??

All i need is a way of transfering digital signals off DVD into a coaxial or optical sockets on my Marantz SR4300 av amp.

Plus then i could have stable video / audio from the dvd drive, and could feed the video via vga to my OHP video projector !!

I just thought it would be easy to find a breakout plate so i could use the spdif function on this mainboard !!

No such luck at the moment..........i'll keep trying !!
    Sigma Hollywood+ DVD MPEG2 PCI Card

Cheers

Cosmic023

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems a little extreme just to get audio out; besides I would go for the Xcard rather than the H+ for MPEG4 and the add-on SCART TV connector. They both give excellent picture quality actually and have programmable output modes for progressive scan if you don't use a TV set.

It must be possible to make use of the onboard spdif header somehow, though. Have you asked Gigabyte's tech support for a recommendation? If you can get the pinout (should be in the manual) you can probably make up something to make the connection by coax via an RCA jack plate to your amp, or get one made for you, if there's nothing off the shelf available.

What about one of the 5.25" bay modules you can buy with an audio out?

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst cruising around I came across a link. Guess what for? Yes, a Gigabyte SPDIF adapter. Alas, following said link led me to a home page here:

http://www.micro-plus.co.uk/micro_plus_computers_pricelist.htm

with no sign of a GA-SPDIF on the menu.

However, you might care to make an enquiry there, just in case.