Sparks, what the hell is using so much electricity!

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Well I got solar panels fitted about a month ago. And as a result, I'm checking the app every 2 minutes to see how much I'm generating.

Well this morning things went tits up. My normal base load is around 2-300w when I'm at work. Today from about 9am onwards, it sat between 800 and 1000w. All day long.

One suggestion was that maybe it was the pump for the septic tank, running constantly due to rain (big storm here today) flooding the tank. I've ruled that out by knocking off the fuse for it whilst watching the app showing consumption.

I also ruled out the garage which is on a separate loop.

I can't troubleshoot much further tonight as the missus has settled down to watch telly so I'll have to inverlstigate tomorrow but any probable candidates in the meantime?

MaryWhitehouse

Not without providing some hints lol. Just knock each breaker off for 10 seconds till you find the culprit then take it from there.

MaryWhitehouse

Do that one last

nvingo

Yeah that's the plan for tomorrow...
OP should have an answer for us by now.
Unless he can't restore power to the circuit that the broadband router is fed from.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Sorry, the damn thing was fine all day and I had to go out so no testing.

Then this evening I got around to checking and it's been bumping up as high as 1kw for half of the evening.

Tomorrow I'll test fully. But something is definitely whacky, we had a sunny afternoon and my solar panels charged the battery to 100%. Normally that would take me through the evening and only run out about 3am.

It was flat by 10pm.

Actually I have a spark calling tomorrow to check the wiring on the underfloor heating of the ensuite. I might get him to check each fuse while he's there. I'm sure he can clamp the line with his one equipment.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Also this was yesterday whilst charging the car. The charger shows generation, consumption and grid in/out. When there is more than 1.4kw being exported, the charger will take it for the car instead.

But what the hell is happening with the house consumption numbers!

Perhaps ask the neighbours, and their neighbours 😂

That is quite something though. Are you sure you don’t have a broken cable and the electricity is leaking away? 😈😬😂

ashenfie

The issue is now we have a new meter to watch, so we start watching it all the time. The meter is not very helpful as we now are stuck wondering what it means. So we need more meters to tell us that the original meter means and so it goes on.

I discovered recently my parents central heating didn't turn off the switch didn't work. No one noticed because all the radiators have thermostats so during normal weather felt cold. Mum had been complaining the house is always warm too. I was painting there hall, so removed the thermostat and that's when we discovered this issue. So hopefully you can track the issue down.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Have you thought about the fridge or freezer, dodgy compressor might do that?
Considered it. We have a chest freezer out in the garage and the fridge freezer in the house. Haven't looked near the one in the garage for ages, which means we really don't need the damn thing. But the one in the house seems to be fine, no fluctuations on the digital temperature or anything.

Come hell or high water I'll be testing every fuse tonight, unless the spark can figure it out before I get home.

Belzok

Considered it. We have a chest freezer out in the garage and the fridge freezer in the house. Haven't looked near the one in the garage for ages, which means we really don't need the damn thing. But the one in the house seems to be fine, no fluctuations on the digital temperature or anything.

Come hell or high water I'll be testing every fuse tonight, unless the spark can figure it out before I get home.
Hopefully you will see the spikes off one specific breaker, that will make it much easier to narrow down.

Good luck 😀

ufo550

I'm not into all this solar powered malarkey, but 1kW is only about 4 A, dependent on the voltage. When I clamped my house supply, I used to get anything from 2-8A, dependant on who was in etc. Got 14A with the electric cooker full pelt. Fridges & freezer's can draw up to 5A, initially more on start up.

Here's a useful guide

gangzoom

I'm not into all this solar powered malarkey, but 1kW is only about 4 A, dependent on the voltage.

1KW continues background drain is 24kWh a day of electricity usage, thats a crazy figure of background usage.

Our base load drainage is barely 0.2KW overnight, we were home all day yesterday and used less than 7kWh all day.

@DrPhil Have you checked outside flood lights aren't on?? Something in your house is using that power.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Dr Phil, what heating and hot water system do you have?

Also what type of meter do you have, some are pretty inaccurate.

Last edited:

Basinguy

immersion heater?

kids experimenting with Tesla coils?

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
No immersion, that is controlled by an Eddi unit which will only use excess.

Outside flood light is working fine, only comes on by sensor.

It has been mostly fine for the last few days too which makes diagnosis near impossible.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's probably all your pets in their secret bunker laboratory conducting human "experiments" on what cat and dog products cause allergic reactions on their owners.

Once they know which ones it is and which are the deadliest across the widest spectrum, full-scale production commences.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
It's probably all your pets in their secret bunker laboratory conducting human "experiments" on what cat and dog products cause allergic reactions on their owners.

Once they know which ones it is and which are the deadliest across the widest spectrum, full-scale production commences.

To be honest, that’s what we were all thinking but didn’t want to say.

ufo550

As said, your ev charger seems to be pulling a fair size load, that seems constant, but that seems to not compare with the house icon?

TerFar

Yeah that's the plan for tomorrow.

Although I have to ensure that I don't KO the stuff that is giving me the figures.
It could be a rogue (faulty) fridge or freezer.
You'll have to diagnose this methodically. Start off by unplugging everything you can. If consumption is still high, switch off every fuse in the fuse box and start from 'zero'. Switch on each one at a time in turn until the power jumps to an unaccountable level. Once you find the circuit, check everything connected to it.
Lrt us know the culprit please.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett