1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Spark Plug Noise" through radio

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by XcitR, Jun 18, 2005.

1. XcitR

XcitR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm one of the few out there who still like listening to AM radio, problem being, I'm getting "Spark Plug Noise" when the engine is on. I've had an aftermarket Alpine radio (that AM worked fine on with another vehicle) installed in my 91 GMC Sierra. FM Radio works great, but I'm getting interferrence with all AM stations. The installer can't seem to find where the problem is, even after trying a new antennea, etc. I've also replaced the braided engine ground straps. Anyone have any other ideas of what the solution may be? I'm at a loss...

2. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    bad ground ( clean the area of the strap) or the antenne needs looking at. Have you tried another h/unit is the problem still there?

3. XcitR

XcitR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried another HU, got th same results. Factory HU worked, however. Also, I had the installer try a new antennae, and that produced no results.

I did have one suggestion to cut the HU's ground out of the wiring harness and ground it direct to the firewall. Will this make much of a difference?

4. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    could try it? sorry cant understand it. have you checked too see how good the earth is using a multi meter

5. XcitR

XcitR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't yet... though I'm trying to borrow a meter from a friend. As for the suggestion i put on the last post: I was told by someone not to use the ground in the OE wiring harness, that this could be causing a problem. I've always used the wiring harness ground before, but if this person is right, then I guess i'd need to cut the ground out of the harness and run it to a point on the firewall. Thoughts?

6. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    When I had my first mini in the 70's I had to fit capacitors to the distributor cap leads to stop the noise that you describe. Not sure if that is still required with modern electronics, but it might be another avenue to explore.