spare wheel - what do I need.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by andyparksy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Sounds obvious but as I know nothing I just wanted to make sure.............

We have an S-max which does not have a spare, only one of those ridiculous inflation kits. About to go off skiing and dont want to risk it so was thinking about just taking a spare along with me in the boot.

We have 18" wheels on it so I take it I will just need another 18" wheel (do you need specific ones for specific cars? - thinking about weight), Have read some people using different sized ones (and adjusting the type profile) but cant imagine that's a great idea,

a jack -

Draper 39055 4-Tonne Hydraulic Bottle Jack: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Looks small but will strong enough - do I need to find one that matches specific model jack points (reminds me, will have to find out where they are)

And a nut wrench - I take it you will just be able to attach the locking nut adapters to these for those ones.

Anything else???

Have never changed a tyre in my life - any stupid things I need to remember?

any recomendations on getting a spare wheel?

Oh and sorry - was meant to be in the motoring section.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    A Ford Dealer?

3. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
  4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If it doesn't come with a spare, where do you propose to install this spare wheel? An unsecured spare will pose a serious risk to the inhabitants of the car and would take up a heck of a lot of boot space which in a car with 7 seats is probably at a premium as it is. I would just double check your car breakdown cover is in order and stick with the can of tyre weld. If you do for a spare wheel, not only will it need to be the correct size (diameter/width/offset/PCD), it will also need to be up to supporting the weight of the car, which in a laden S-Max will be considerable.

I would also read your manual and perhaps check youtube on what to do in the event of a puncture.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    In my car Davepuma the boot has a recessed slot for a spare wheel I assume the same goes for a s-max.

6. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    You could try and buy a second hand wheel from a parts dealer the galaxy and s-max wheels might be interchangeable best ask someone who knows.

With regards to your jack you might be better off with a scissor jack but it would all depend on your mounting jack locations and if the jack can take the weight of a fully loaded 2 ton+ car.

7. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Thank guys

Its bits like that I was concerned about - getting the right size is one thing but speaking from a position of knowing next to nothing about cars I would be worried about getting other bits wrong - I guess going to a dealer would be the safest bet but I think then it is probably about the same cost as getting recovered on a french motorway anyway.

Will have a think but maybe I will be best just sticking to the kit although dont really trust it - just dont like the idea of being a little helpless abroad when I have the little ones with me.

Cheers though - if nothing else not getting a barage of "dont be daft it's really easy and not knowing is an afront to your manliness" probably tells me it might not be something to dabble in!

8. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Oh, and no, the s-max has no space for a spare at all (and is too big for the space savers) - it would have to be secured in the boot but in this case that would be possible - for a single trip at least.

I think the s-max has the same body as the galaxy so that opens up the possibilities, but if there is a chace I am either going to bugger up the car by jacking it incorrecty / messing with the arches or even worse make it unsafe its probably not going to be worth it for me

9. kevandalice

kevandalice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    once you source a spare wheel, practise fitting it before you go.

10. Pisto_Grih

Pisto_Grih
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,308
    It depends what you want kind of spare you want - I don't know whether you get spacesaver wheels for a car that big. If you can, then you get a spare that will get you as far as the next garage that can replace your punctured tyre on the proper wheel.

A full size wheel with an inflated tyre will be a straight swap and you can leave it on permanently.

Jack wise not sure what would be required - either way you're going to need everyone to get out and will probably have to get everything out of the boot too - unless you plan on putting the spare wheel in last :D if that doesn't sound like something you and all the passengers are prepared to do on the side of a cold and wet French motorway whilst you attempt to change a wheel in the dark, then probably best to leave it to recovery.

I have had to change a wheel by the side of the road twice before - once was a very simple 10 minutes in a bit of drizzle but thankfully daylight, the other time we had a correctly inflated spare and all the tools but the wheel was seized on to the hub and I couldn't free it for love nor money. So still had to get RAC out. they had to hit it with a rubber mallet, something I didn't have, to get it off.

11. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Just saying do not use a space saver your car is to big and heavy fords did not design one for the s-max also it will void your insurance.

Take a can of Tyre weld with you the gunk that came with your car is usually usless.

Halfords | Holts Tyreweld 300ml

Also In France and some other European countries it is law to carry a high vis vest for every person in the car
    .France: High Visibility Jackets - TripAdvisor

12. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,271
    If forget about getting a spare and jack and tools etc and ensure you've got European motor assistance cover. You'll be sorted then, and if something happens causing a flat they'll fix it and get you to the nearest tyre place. Why create the stress for yourselves when you can pay someone else to do it for you :)

Ps. The spare wheel doesn't have to be the same size, although it should clear the brakes etc. my wife had a puncture last Friday and the spare of our car is 18" whilst the wheels are 21".

Just get European motor assistance :)

13. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    I'd agree with the breakdown cover option. For what you'd spend on parts you could probably have full onward travel cover should the worst happen. That would get you to your destination rather than just to a local garage that may be closed!

Motorway hard shoulders are very dangerous places & I believe even the Highway Code recommends recovery rather than trying to change the wheel, & that's over here.

14. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    I think I am right in saying though that you cannot get RAC type assistance on French Motorways - you have to call the police who organise towing to somewhere else - dont think they will even attempt repairs (but might be wrong). We had to do this last year and the first person to come was the tow truck not a repair van and was a real struggle to find somewhere that then had a correct tyre. I guess cover will probably cover the costs of this (although not certain) but the issue is how difficult it was to sort last time. My French is limited and trying to talk to local police about where we were what had happened, etc, was not the best

Think I am still going for this over the possibility of getting it wrong on my own though.

15. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    You're right, apparently because the motorways are privately owned.

Breakdown cover in France | AA

Although it seems all you need to do is get off the motorway & then call the breakdown service. I say all...

16. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    If you do go the spare route, the most sensible in my view, you'll need the usual, footpump/pump of some sort, wheel, tyre, jack, tools, :laugh:, but I would advise getting shot of the locking nuts, if your car uses them, and replace them, at least for your journey, with non locking nuts.
    Nothing is ever guaranteed, and if you burst the key/lock tool, it's a right pain to get them off, and not guaranteed not to make a mess if a garage has to get them off.

That tyre gunk is just awful as a replacement for a real spare.
    Changing a tyre is easy, provided you can get the nuts off. :rotfl:

17. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    SOME motorways!!

18. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Is there no spacesaver option for the S-Max?
    You don't need a full size wheel.
    If you look at Porsche and Alpina forums, there are loads of threads where people have found the spacesaver from a completely different car fits and they use them.
    A good compromise between a tin of gunk and lack of space for a full size wheel.

Edit, it seems to be that a Mondeo Mk3 spacesaver fits the S-Max and is a popular choice.
    5 x stud holes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  19. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Had a look at that but for every mention I found of people recomending the Mondeo one there were equal mentions from people saying it is completely unsafe for the load weight, will null your insurance, and has been the cause of a lot of crashes!!!!

20. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Not sure why you need a pump...?
    Just check the pressure of the spare from time to time.
    Only a proper donkey would let the spare go flat and then spend time pumping it up when needed.:laugh:

21. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Not just the spare..ha-ha..could be any of the 4(5 inc. a spare..).:rotfl:

22. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    Trust you feel better for that?

Best you send an immediate missive to both the AA & RAC to correct them. I'm sure they'll be grateful...

23. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Croc dear sir, the link you provided actually states some, no mention of all.
    No need for toys out of the pram behaviour.

24. Some Bloke

Some Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're not a proper man until you've changed a tyre (or tire for our US comrades).
    Next you'll be telling us, you haven't changed a plug (electric type, not the sink type).

Out-bloody-rageous Sir :D

25. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Andy I have a fiesta that was provided with the same pump and gunk... Totally useless when I got a flat.

However (in the fiesta) when you remove the carpet there is a space for a space saver that has a foam molding in it. This holds the jack and tools to take the wheel off as well as the auto pump and gunk. If you have the pump then I would keep that as they are useful to have instead off using the foot pump.

You could go to your local ford garage and get a space saver or a full sized wheel for your car. However I think the hole in the boot is only designed these days for a space saver rather than a full sized wheel.

26. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Cheers, but looked into it and you canot get a spacesaver for an Smax and confirmed that there is absolutely no space for one anyway. Have seen some ridiculous attempts to "custom" a space to hold a wheel somewhere....... dont think MTV were involved in any of them.

And as for the manliness thing - would argue my case but probably agree with you! Will have to take a wheel off and put it back on again one day just to tick the box

27. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I wonder if a cycle carrier could be modified to hold one (or a bracket that attaches in place of the ball of a towbar)? I guess a wheel/tyre would weigh a bit more than three cycles, but it would be held in closer to the vehicle-a bit like when a 4x4 has the spare outside the back door.

28. michaelro

michaelro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Ford S-MAX Owners Club website & forum

Fellow S-Max owner. I've seen threads on this site and other forums.
    Got breakdown cover myself.
    Having a heavy tyre inside the car behind where the kids sit is not my idea of safety, however well you can secure it

29. michaelro

michaelro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
  30. mikeburns

mikeburns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321