1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare sky box??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chung54, Jul 25, 2002.

1. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if you can buy a Sky digi box on it's own, if so do you still need a card to view the free to air programs?
    I'm asking because I'm gonna get a satellite system installed and am gonna get them to install a 2nd LNB on the dish pointing at the Sky satellite.
    I am in the understanding that Sky obviously do free/cheap installs but only if you subscribe. Seeing as I only want E4(for the missus) I see no point as I don't want any of the other Sky channels.
    Cheers

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can buy a Sky box itself... cheapest I've seen is here although I personally have never used the company. The only channels **I think** available without a card are Sky News and QVC, possibly some others. For the other free channels you need to call Sky to get a "Free BBC Card"

You mentioned you wanted E4, AFAIK, it is only available if you subscribe to at least the "Family Pack". :(

On the point about contract free Digiboxes anyone know anywhere cheaper than above... my 3 year old Grundig is about to die!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you don't mind buying second hand hardware then the online auctions are a good place to start and sometimes you will get a trader who has a batch of new digiboxes to bid on.
    I've not heard anything bad about Brymar and the prices are reasonable, although SKY do sell a brand new digibox for £169 although they don't state which make/model.

The FTV card can be aquired from the BBC by calling this number...0870 243 8000 or visit this site for more info.....FTV

You are correct about E4, it is a subscription only channel on SKY D and is part of the Entertainment/Family (£16) package.

4. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. £16 pm, wonder if she can afford that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If she can then perhaps she could afford to order a SKY D system online at the SKY website for £10 and choose the £37 package.
    That gets you a brand new digibox/dish etc fitted and after a month you drop the subscription down to the £16 package for the remaining 11 months or longer as you wish.