Spare Sky + box.

T

TEDDYBASS

I am due to have my living room Sky+ box replaced by an HD box in September. I want to put the sky + box in my kids room where they currently have a standard sky box multi-room installed. As the multi room install only uses one input cable and to work properly the sky + needs two will I have to book a separate install to add another cable. Also will that then mean I have to pay 2 lots of sky + subs ( 1 for the living room HD box and 1 for the bedroom ) ??

pjsims

Standard Member
you can use the sky+ as per normal with one cable. It will record things whilst off (if i remember correctly - my mian tv has gone back...), and recored the channel its on. Its only the watchingand recording that needs two cables. I (did) have mine upstairs as a freeview box using one cable.

Teddo

Standard Member
When the Skyman swapped my plus box to upstairs he replaced the single core cable with a twin feed from the new quad LNB and dish he installed.

SamRadford

Novice Member
pjsims said:
I (did) have mine upstairs as a freeview box using one cable.
No you didn't. Freeview requires an aerial and a Freeview receiver.

pjsims

Standard Member
SamRadford said:
No you didn't. Freeview requires an aerial and a Freeview receiver.
Sorry Mr Pedantic ;) Free to view channels on a satellite box that requires a viewing card and the the free to air channels that dont....... :boring:

T

TEDDYBASS

Still no advise on whether I will need to pay for a separate install to upgrade from the single cable/standard box multiroom to an additional cable so that I can use my spare sky + box to its full capability. Come on guys somebody must be able to help if only so I can avoid phoning:suicide: Skys customer service dept.:suicide:

smiffy333

Teddo said:
When the Skyman swapped my plus box to upstairs he replaced the single core cable with a twin feed from the new quad LNB and dish he installed.
Think Teddo has answered the question for you. I know when I had multiroom installed they put the extra cable in for my second Sky+ box for free.

hythers

Novice Member
Teddybas, i was told by sky the other day that you wouldnt have to pay anymore than you normally would for your mutiroom contract.

zappo

Novice Member
I upgraded my old sky box on a multi room to a sky plus I got on ebay, you will need to run the install to lock the card in the kids room to the sky plus box. You will also need to get Sky to activate your channels on this card for Sky plus. They are happy to do this without charge.

The engineer will probably be happy to do it for you and also to run an extra cable (they usually put in a better LNB) if not you only need a single extra cable so that you can record a different channel to what you are watching.