Spare Bedroom to Dedicated Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by derekhansen, Dec 27, 2017.

1. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I’d thought about posting this on the DIY thread as the build progressed but never seemed to get round to it. So with some time off over the Christmas break and the project 99% finished I thought I would showcase the completed project here along with some in progress shots I took along the way.

With the exception of the carpet fitting and final electrical inspection/ test, I did all the work over weekends and evenings between September and mid-December this year

Our house is an Edwardian end of terrace and the converted room was a bedroom that the last of our kids vacated when they flew the nest a couple of years ago. Since then we had been using it as a Gym/Laundry, that was until I had the thumbs up to convert it to a dedicated HT. The room size is 3.90m long x 3.75m wide x 2.75m high.

I wasn’t looking to create a family or media room I just wanted an environment to watch movies in the most favourable conditions possible within a modest budget. The aim was therefore to reduce light reflection and sound transmission as much as possible whilst keeping cost to a minimum.

The visual side of things would be provided by a projector and sound by a 5.1 surround sound with cables installed for a 7.1.2 system in the future.

As I mentioned earlier the budget was very modest. £5500 to be precise and this needed to cover building materials and AV equipment. In the end I spent just over £6000. I initially looked at creating a room within a room utilising acoustic plasterboard, green glue etc. but frankly the cost would have totally bust my budget. In addition I would still need to install acoustic panels to deal with sound reflection.

So I went a different path, one that would incorporate acoustic treatment to deal with sound reflection and improve sound containment as well.

Below is a run-down of what I did.

Floor – floorboards were taken up and de-nailed. 100mm Rockwool RW45 was laid between joists and 6mm thick self adhesive, neoprene tape applied to the top of the joists to de-couple the joists from the boards when screwed back down. All board gaps were sealed with acoustic mastic and finished with Cloud 9 underlay and carpet.

Walls – Three out of the four existing walls are plastered 9” brick. One is a party wall with our neighbour. Although this means I already have a decent amount of mass to prevent sound transmission I still wanted to deal with any sound travelling through gaps (flanking) and further reduce transmission through the wall. At the same time I needed to install sound absorbent treatments to deal with the new sound system. So I applied 50mm RW45 Rockwool batts fitted between 50 x 50mm timber battens. The battens, whose purpose was to provide support for the stretch fabric panelsm, were screwed to the existing walls with rubber grommets separating the battens from the wall surface. The Rockwool was glued to the wall using spray adhesive. The walls were finished with my home made stretch fabric panels. Cables were run in a timber trunking at skirting level.

Ceiling – Over boarded with standard plasterboard. Mainly to cover up the old Artex finish. 100mm RW45 batts were laid in the loft on top of and counter to the joist direction. I also stuffed insulation into gaps and holes wherever I could find them.

Door and Window – I have yet to fit the acoustic seals and absorbent panels to the existing door. I will do this soon as the door is now the main cause of sound leakage.

I think I should say that I have no measured evidence to prove how effective my slightly unconventional approach to sound insulation has been. But, as the primary aim was to provide acoustic treatment rather than construct a sound proof environment I told myself that any improvement in sound containment would be a bonus. Now it’s all done I am very pleased and relieved to say that the room sounds great and the noise has been noticeably contained. I tend to play between -10 and -15db below reference and the bass is noticeable but not obtrusive in adjoining rooms and downstairs.

Below is a list of the AV kit I installed:-

Sony HW45ES Projector suspended from ceiling.

DIY, fixed, 16:9 projector screen, 95” wide.(not sure of the diagonal)

Denon x2400H Receiver.

Oppo B93 Blu-Ray player. (second hand)

Monitor Audio Bronze speakers., L&R front floormounts, with centre and surrounds on stands

B&K P12-300SB DF Subwoofer.

Amazon Firestick for Amazon video and Netflix.

Below are photos of the completed room followed by in-progress shots taken as the work progressed. 18-avf20171217_6803.jpg 19-avf20171217_6807.jpg 21-avf20171217_6798.jpg 22-avf20171217_6815.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Ceiling overboarded 1-avf20170913_HT-Room_6647.jpg 2-avf20170913_HT-Room_6648.jpg

3. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  4. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Neoprene strip to dampen the floor board transmission to the joists 5-avf20171015_HT-Room_6786.jpg

5. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Spotlights fitted, ceiling painted and floorboards screwed down. 6-avf20171029_6854.jpg

6. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Projector fitted and image projected on painted wall to establish screen size and position. 8-avf20171111_HT-Room_6772.jpg 9-avf20171111_6849.jpg

7. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Screen support and DIY screen fitted. 10-avf20171118_6846.jpg 11-avf20171119_6844.jpg

8. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Wall battens fitted and acoustic insulation in progress. 12-avf20171126_6830.jpg 13-avf20171126_6834.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  9. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Stretch fabric panels in progress. 14-avf20171126_6840-(1).jpg 15=20171202_6822.jpg 16-20171202_6820.jpg 17-avf20171203_6819.jpg

10. johnlordox3

johnlordox3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking good! Keep up the good work, buddy.

11. raoulx

raoulx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Looks great! I hope your enjoying the new room :D

12. Cherrywood

Cherrywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Room looks great - how did you fix the fabic panels to the walls?

13. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thank you. The panels were fixed with a combination of self adhesive 2 part Velcro and 40mm panel pins. The pin heads were then painted in with a colour that matched the fabric.

14. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Very much so. I have been watching a couple of movies a day over the Christmas break.

15. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Very nice. Top job

16. SCO77Y2010

SCO77Y2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    love it , great use of the spare room

17. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,829
    Lovely job in particular like the use of velvet / purple it gives a real old school cinematic feel

18. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks. We are very pleased with the look. It really does have a cinematic feel.

19. Minty

Minty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Looks amazing. Nothing quite beats a dedicated cinema room.

Great work and I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

M

Edit Just realised we are the same vintage. 1962 a great year.[emoji1] [emoji1]

20. Soundman2017

Soundman2017
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It s an awesome build on a modest budget... lovely

21. slave1

slave1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Class job

22. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,907
    Love it, looks brilliant. Congratulations on a great result.
    A few questions:
    Do you watch in the dark in there?
    Does the projector light up the floor much? What carpet did you go for?
    What fabric did you go for on the stretch panels?

23. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks. Glad you like it.

To answer your questions:-
    1. We watch with the lights off and the black out curtains closed.
    2. The carpet is Westex exclusive twist range and the colour is Aubergine. No problem with light reflection. It's quite dark.
    3. I used two different fabrics. The rear wall and side walls used a Dark Chocolate colour, cotton velvet fabric from Tissu fabrics, the cost was £7.99 per m. They sell cheaper cotton/Lycra mix velvets but the pure cotton velvet has a matt finish and doesn't reflect the light from the screen. For the screen wall and 1 metre out on the side walls I used Devore Velvet from Whaleys. I cannot remember the exact price but it was approx £15 per m plus delivery and vat. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion as this fabric is very, very black. You need to get the pile/nap in the right direction to avoid it reflecting the light but it really does make the screen wall look like a 'black hole' and certainly improves the perceived contrast of the image. I also used the Devore to deal with the only reflection issue I had which was from the top of the centre speaker. I sorted this out by making a velvet mat to sit on top.

Hope that helps. More than happy to answer any other questions.

24. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,907
    Thanks for that, very interesting. I'd assumed the walls were similar in colour to the floor from looking at them, quite deceptive in the photos. Looks really nice.

I think I'm going to either go for a very dark colour on the carpet like you have here or a black. I love purples myself. Also going to be doing the screen wall (and perhaps the back wall) in black, sides undecided as yet (got some fabric samples on the way). A lot of the carpets I like seem to max out at mid greys though which I personally think will rob too much contrast.

I've had Devore samples in the past - as you say it is extremely black!

25. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    That is an excellent job and at a bargain price. I’m inspired sir.

26. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171

I know what you mean regarding the 'Chocolate Brown' fabric but the photo is pretty accurate. When it arrived I was quite alarmed as it was much redder than I was expecting. However my wife really liked it and in fact it inspired us to go with the purple carpet, curtains and sofa.

I was determined to go for a dark carpet as I was concerned about reflection from the screen but I had some nagging doubts about the colour. But, when it was down, I was very pleased with the way it looked.

One thing I would recommend is a decent underlay. We had 11mm thick 'Cloud 9' fitted and it certainly helps the sound absorbency.

27. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks. I am certainly very glad I took the plunge and would urge anyone who has the space and loves watching films to go for it. As I hope my thread shows you don't need to spend a fortune especially if you are prepared to do a lot of the work yourself.
    I can tell you that everyone who has had a demo so far has been impressed with the room and the quality of image/audio.

28. archie2000

archie2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    A really nice job. I like the colour scheme for the room.
    I spent about 6k on my room too. It's a good money saver if you can do nearly everything yourself. I like a nice bit of DIY, so thoroughly enjoyed doing it and getting a huge amount of self satisfaction too.

What sound level can you get up to before the neighbours can hear it, and do you get on with them?

29. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks Archie.
    We get on very well with our party wall neighbour. I spoke to her before the install and because she lives on her own and does not use the room adjacent to our cinema room she didnt think it would be a problem.
    As the sound system has only been running for a couple of weeks I havn't had the chance to ask her what if anything she can hear but no complaints. I will speak to her to get some feedback though.
    We listen at around -12db but if it gets very bass heavy I tend to turn it down a bit.
    As I mentioned in my introduction the sound containment within the house has worked well. I watched a couple of movies over the Christmas break while my wife was sleeping in the bedroom next door without disturbing her.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  30. DarkBlade

DarkBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Looks brilliant. :)

Is the pile running in the opposite direction on the chimney wall as it seems a different shade? Looks a great way of getting two tones. Do you have a link to the Tissu fabric please as I'd like to request a sample from them.
    Also, where did you get your radiator cover from - your looks much better than most I've seen.