1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare a moment for a poor rookie, guv?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gordy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. gordy

gordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there

First post - and after a few weeks of lurking in the background, soaking up as much info as I can, can I first of all say thanks to everyone who contributes. So much knowledge it's scary.

Almost too much for a rookie like me, I'm afraid.

Reason I've been doing my homework is my own tv went up in a puff of smoke and I decided that the time was right to take the plunge into buying a plasma.

After a few days here, I had settled on a Panasonic - you guys love them to bits, don't you? - because there appear to be some great deals floating around (AV-Sales, Robert Whyte with a FIVE year warranty, etc) but the more talk of high definition, the more I wondered.

Then I went into my local Currys (in Falkirk) and saw a Philips 37PF9975, which seemed to have so much better a picture than anything else on display. And there were plenty. So I looked into that model and found ...er, nothing.

It appears to be 1024x1024, have something called pixel plus, and I believe I can pick it up for around #1900, but I've read no opinions on it.

See, here's the thing - deep down, I don't really understand all this native resolution stuff, or any of the technical stuff for that matter! :(

Is a screen that's 1024x1024 automatically or necessarily better than those with smaller numbers of pixels?

All I want is a plasma, 37 or 42, that has a good picture quality, that I'm not going to have to toss in the bin in a couple of years, that I can plug my Sky box into, that I can plug my Sony DAV SB500 DVD and home cinema thingy into (my wife likes the wireless rear speakers!), both via scart. I think.

It seems like it should be so simple, yet my head is now officially full of broken biscuits at the thought of having to make a decision.

And every day I come on here someone is revealing a new deal, and a better plasma, Buy the NEC, check out the LG, and ...and...and

So spare a thought for a humble rookie, :lease:

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the Philips? is it worth the dough? Is it "future proof"?
    Or should I just get a PW7 and hope that their issues are resolved?
    Or is there a compromise out there? Ideally I,m wanting to spend less that two grand, if that's a guide.

ANY help that anyone can offer to a tortured soul would be gratefully received.

Thanks again to one and all, and cheers

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. gordy

gordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there

thanks for the reply - that thread you linked to is one of the ones which turned my brain to mush in the first place!
    And I'm still not sure I really understand the fundamental difference of an ALIS screen. All I found in a search was people arguing the toss over which was better - and predictably the people who owned each fell down on the side of their particular purchase.

Without actually saying as much in your thread, do I detect in the unwritten subtext that you'd be steering me away from that particular screen?

And if so, what's your recommendation for a complete starter who wouldn't know a component lead from a compost heap?

And is there anyone out there who actually HAS a 37pf9975 who can offer an insight?

Once again, thanks in advance for any help

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for a novice most performance for £ is TH-37 or 42PE30 panny if you want to know about ALIS follow this link http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/ and click on plasma/home use/technology explained (top right)

5. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Welcome fellow confused one. :hiya: