1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spam emails

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ian J, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    For the past year or so I have been receiving approximately 100 to 150 spam emails every day and I used to dread going away for a few days as even using Mailwasher it would take me ages to plough through everything to doublecheck that Mailwasher hadn't marked something for deletion that was actually genuine.

In the last few weeks my spam has dropped tremendously and I probably only average a dozen or so a day. I would normally have 20 plus awaiting for me overnight but this morning there were none.

Whilst I should be pleased that I seem to be off the spammer's mailing list it just seems to good to be true and I am now worrying that genuine mail is also not reaching me as well as spam.

Anyone else noticed any changes in the levels of spam emails received recently ?

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    As long as you're still recieving some genuine Email?, It's most probably that your ISP has installed some decent anti-spam at last!

It's maybe worth turning off any anti-spam you have on the PC, just in case it has gone crazy...but not very likely..

Which ISP do you use?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I use NTL but I don't have any anti spam software as Mailwasher merely examines the emails on the mail server but still lists them all.

I have recently upgraded Zone Alarm Pro to Zone Alarm Security Suite version 6 which includes anti spam software but I have switched that function off anyway

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    NTL have been progressively upgrading their anti-spam measures all this year... they made some massive changes at the end of April, they signed up with a 3rd party which runs very latest technology anti-spam and McAfee virus filtering...
    there was a 'second-phase' due to be rolled out once they were happy with the initial system...looks like it has maybe just gone live..?

Worth double-checking with NTL to make sure/confirm go live dates, a quick email to their support center (or whatever they call it) should provide the definitive answer.. :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You have more faith in NTL than I do as they have never replied to any of my support emails yet :D

I am a little concerned if they are using anti spam filters as I have often found my own email account appearing on the Spamcop bad boys list as a spammer thanks to others using my email address as a forged return address

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    the new stuff is pretty adavnced... it works just like AV filtering.
    It reads email content and looks out for 'signature behaviour' of known spammer software, rather than working from address information like the home kit (and the spammer software!) to work out what is good vs evil... if it's setup correctly at the ISP gateway it's really quite good...

as long as you are still recieving 'sensible' amounts of legit. mail, I honestly wouldn't worry too much... it's much more intelligent than Spamcop at least..

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,362
    When they first brought in the anti-spam filtering it stopped all my notification emails from here !

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    was that NTL? how far back was this?

looks like they had the security level cranked up to 'paranoid' at first :D

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member