1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spagetti junction

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by stun, Jan 11, 2004.

1. stun

stun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My setup includes

Amp
    DVD
    Sky
    HDD/DVD
    TV

Amp has component inputs from DVD and TV/DBS. Component outputs to monitor. No scarts. Numerous S-Video, etc. 1 optical output, 3 optical inputs + 1 coax output, etc, etc Phono inputs for surround.

DVD has BNC component output. S-Video input and output. No scarts. Phono outputs for surround.

HDD/DVD has 2 scart, 1 input svideo and 1 svideo output.

Sky 2 scart and audio left and right.

TV has 3 scart, 1 component input, 1 svideo. 1 digital coax and 1 optical

A simple connection map would be useful... anyone got anything tucked up their sleeve?

Also if I wanted to record/timeslip box office, etc do I need anything to remove protection and if so between which connection? The same question if I wanted to copy a DVD from the DVD player to the HDD... how to remove protection and between which connection would it sit?

My DVD outputs BNC components and the Amp inputs component phono. The Amp then outputs component phono and the TV inputs component phono... is this the correct mapping?

Do I use digital optical or digital coax or analogue or a combination? and between which boxes (DVD to Amp and Amp to TV and DVD to HDD/DVD)?

:confused:

2. stun

stun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so no replies :-/

Well what if I started running everything thru the amp. Taking the best output possible from each source.

The DVD player sends component video & digital audio, analogue L&R and 6 surround outputs to the DVD input.

The HDD/DVD sends analogue L&R & S-Video to the Amp:VCR input. The Amp then sends the same back.

Sky sends via scart an RGB signal to the Amp TV/DBS component inputs (scart to component lead). Audio L&R from Sky to Amp TV/DBS Audio L&R.

Amp: Component cable from Amp monitor out to the TV component in (AV4)

With this setup, I have no scarts connected to the TV. The AMP has NO scarts at all.

Questions:

Should I stick with a component from the Amp to the TV or use a component to scart cable into AV1.

Should I go digital optical or coaxial?

Should I use scart from HDD/DVD to the Amp S-Video?

Where there is a choice, should I use scart input/output rather than an S-Video cable? ie use an S-Video to Scart cable rather than an S-Video to S-Video cable.

Should I still be able to record via the Amp to the HDD/DVD?

How do I avoid copy protection on DVD's (the input is component).

Is there copy protection on a SKY box office signal?

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try posting with a different thread name as people think this is M6 A38 junction!!!

4. stun

stun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    * lol *

ok

5. stun

stun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't bother connecting any of the video sources via the amp but would connect them directly to the TV.

Connect the Sky Box to the HDD / DVD and daisychain that to a scart socket on the TV that will accept RGB (normally AV 1)

I'm afraid that I am not sure about the DVD Player as normally one would connect the component video outputs to the component inputs on the TV but the ones that I know about are standard RCA plugs and I am not sure whether these are different so wait for someone else to advise.

The sound from both the DVD player and DVD / HDD recorder should be connected to the amp by digital co-axial or optical connector and the Sky box via analogue phono outputs.