• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Space trading/exploration games

stetash

Hi good folks of PC gaming, I'm looking for some recommendations for a space trading/exploration game, something like freelancer but a bit more modern.

Any suggestions?

jassco

Distinguished Member
Other than eve online, the other that springs to mind is the x series. You need to invest a huge amount of time and there isn't much of a narrative!

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Perhaps the new Elite game in development might work? The Mass Effect series isn't really a 'space' game but is still excellent.

stetash

Miss Chief said:
Perhaps the new Elite game in development might work? The Mass Effect series isn't really a 'space' game but is still excellent.

I have my eye on Elite, was just looking for something to fill the gap in the meantime, Eve online would be great if it wasn't for the monthly subscription :-(

I'll have a look into X3 too, thanks for the suggestions.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
stetash said:
I have my eye on Elite, was just looking for something to fill the gap in the meantime, Eve online would be great if it wasn't for the monthly subscription :-(

I'll have a look into X3 too, thanks for the suggestions.

X3 is a great game. It throws you straight in though so if your going to try it I'd look for some guides. There's plenty on you-tube.

MIghtyG

big fan of Eve online here, its one hell of a learning curve though, I've been playing for about 3 years now and im still learning, Ive yet to play a game with as much depth as EVE to be honest.

The market, where everything is bought and sold, is completely player generated/driven. Virtually everything in game is manufactured by players and sold on the market. Theres a whole meta game dedicated to trading in EVE.

Likewise with exploration, theres pockets of space where few dare to go due to the danger but the more risk you take the greater the rewards. Theres players in EVE who dedicate their time to nothing but exploration.

If you fancy giving it a go send me a PM with your email and I will send a 21 day trial code to you (normal one is only 14 days) Ill send you my ingame name too so you can get in touch if you have any questions.

stetash

chalkywhyte said:
X3 is a great game. It throws you straight in though so if your going to try it I'd look for some guides. There's plenty on you-tube.

Just found the X3 gold pack for £15 on gamers gate, is it worth starting at Reunion or skip straight to the later instalments ?

Sephiro

The last game that I played that came closest to elite was freelancer, but that seems like a long time ago.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom