1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Shuttle ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Malone, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Ok now dont take the :censored: . I took delivery recently of a Minolta Dimage 5400 Slide scanner. I have loads of slides (as I believe they are the best medium for pictures ie no shop, judging what the contrast should be etc)
    so was looking forward to scanning me piccies in at full res. I came across one slide that I had taken whilst in devon, a skyward pic of a deep blue sky with various shaped clouds and the sun. I was really pleased with the pic on slide so decided to scan it to blow it up for a framed pic. After scanning I noticed a black spec on this otherwise (IMHO) perfect shot. As I had scanned it at full res it was 7000 ish x 5000 ish an a 100MB file so zoomed right in, to my amazement I had an image which looks remarkably like the space shuttle turning away from my view. So, to my question, :rolleyes: Does anyone know of a photo imaging company that can scan in slides at really high res so I can see if it really is.
    Cheers

Matt

2. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm intrigued now... can you grab the small section you have blown up and paste here so we can see too....

cheers

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Im at work at mo but will post it when I get home. I dont think there is any way anyone could host a 100MB image but I can post a 28KB version of original pic then the blown up section that covers 'shuttle'

Matt

4. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Ok I have attached the original image albeit 76kb instead of 100MB and the zoomed in image.

It looks like the 'shuttle is turning away from me so you see the underside and a small part of right hand side?

What do you think?

Matt

Attached Files:

5. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Obviously never noticed it in original slide when I viewed it but once on PC I could see it.

Matt

6. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have to admit that looks remarkably like a shuttle. Either that or you now have a documented alien craft which the National Enquirer would love to get its hands on!

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Im no expert so it is really just opinion but I have tried to think of looking at it and trying to see what else it could be but I cant think of any aircraft that has that large rear wing unlike normal craft which have a relatively small rear tail in comparison to their main wings.

Trouble is firstly I 'think it was September 98. The slide has that printed on its mount but is that the manufacture of mount's date? or when it was processed ie if i'd processed it months after taking it. 7 years ago is a long time to remember such detail.

Still to my original question if anyone knows of a photo lab or imaging company that can scan it at really high res to see if it is or isnt the shuttle I would be grateful for a name etc.

Cheers

Matt

8. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  9. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    What about this 'Aurora' pic???

Attached Files:

10. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    It was a windswept night on September 26th 1994 when something strange occured at Boscombe Down in Wiltshire. Aviation enthusiasts using scanners soon realised something had happened.
    Boscombe Down is owned by the MOD (ministry of Defence) and operated by DERA (Defence Evaluation and Research Agency) and it has been called the UK's Area 51. Boscombe Down has hosted an International Air Tattoo in 1990 and a Air Tournament International in 1992 but that was before DERA took over the base. It is notable that although Boscombe Down is an ideal venue for the Royal International Air Tattoo in 2000, while RAF Fairford is having its runways upgraded, it has been announced that it definately will not be taking place there, by a DERA spokesman.

On that particular night in 1994, an unusual aircraft began its take-off from runway 23. Something went wrong and the two American aircrew aborted their departure immediately. Military controllers at London Air Traffic Control Centre were alerted to the fact that a serious accident had occured at Boscombe Down and that the runway was blocked. Later that night a witness saw a stranded aircraft at the east end of runway 23. A Tarpaulin covered the forward section and it appeared to have a collapsed nose wheel. There were a number of emergency vehicles around the aircraft. Most notable about the aircraft was the inward canting twin fins.

Early the next day an Army Air Corps Augusta A109 arrived from Bournmouth-Hurn. These particular helicopters are exclusively operated by the SAS (Special Air Service) which has a base at Poole, near Hurn. The SAS may have been used to seal off the area. An RAF Chinook also arrived that day possibly having something to do with keeping the area secure.

Later on, the aircraft was towed into a nearby Hangar and the doors hastily shut. However a witness got a glimpse and saw that a tarpaulin was covering the centre section while the front and rear of the aircraft were visible. The rear of the aircraft had inward canting twin fins and chines extended rearwards from the nose. The canopy was open and unusually it was hinged at the front. It was the size of a large fighter and was charcoal grey in colour. It is believed that the aircraft was normally housed in a hangar at this base.

A C-5 Galaxy arrived after having been diverted from Ramstein. Was this to disguise the fact that it intended to fly to Boscombe Down? The mystery aircraft was loaded onto the C-5 Galaxy and flown out. A Gulfstream IV had also arrived and it is thought that it may have had a connection with the CIA. An unmarked Boeing 737/T-43 was also present and this was probably operated by EG&G Special Projects based at Las Vegas which is used exclusively as crew/technician support for black projects.

So does this mean that a top secret spy-plane is housed in a hangar at Boscombe Down? Could this possible be the Hypersonic Aurora Spy-plane? Does this mean that Aurora not only exists but is operational? The Boscombe Down incident aircraft is designated ASTRA (Advanced Stealth Technology Reconnaissance Aircraft) and was referred to as AV-6 (Air Vehicle Six). It was allocated USAF serial 90-2414 and uses frequencies in the 500-510Mhz range, which is outside the tuning range of standard UHF scanners. It was operating with the callsign 'Blackbuck 11'.

11. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Now your takin the **** :D

Decide yourselves what that picture is but fook it I think its the Shuttle

Matt

12. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    There was no Shuttle up in September 1998.. :lesson:

Nearest were STS-95, (Discovery) launched Oct. 29, 1998, landed Nov. 7, 1998 which was after your picture....

Or STS-91 (Discovery) launched June 2, 1998, landed June 12, 1998.....too early for your pic....sorry :thumbsdow

13. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Like i said

14. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I understand your scepticism John but I was really after constructive comments I agree its unlikely but you have to admit it damn well looks like it!!

You must remember I have the original slide and scan which has far more resolution than the main pic posted 99.34 mb more to be precise. So the initial image is clearer that it is an aircraft of some nature rather than bird poo :smoke: . Anyway I shall have to see if I can find a someone to scan it in professionally.

Matt

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Looks like a shuttle - doesn't look like any military jets and is too chunky to be the proper airliner.

16. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Constructivly speaking....the Shuttle would not be visable as in your pic, as I said constructivly before...it re-enters in an easterly direction over the Pacific, where as it could be a secret aircraft such as Aurora...

Oh...Fly not bird.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    :clown:

Fly/Bird/Giraffe Poo its all the same, err well no actually it isnt :laugh:

Soooo what is it then, its not Aurora as the front is not pointed as in your pic but it does have a increasing angle up to where the rear splays out a la Shuttle, but it as you say 'cant be the Shuttle so what in friggins name is it? (Dont say fly poo etc)

Matt

18. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Actually it looks like something my wife keeps in her secret drawer ;) :eek: :oops: :blush:

19. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71

I didnt like to say anything Adreno :hiya:

Matt

20. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Looks like the shuttle. Perhaps they could launch at Utah secretly!?

Anyway, it could be a bird - if you look at it and try to forget that the front of the object is to the right.

21. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Who knows, if I ever manage to get it checked professionally I'll post outcome. Whether its the Shuttle or not was really just supposition by me initially but I would be interested in finding out what it actually is??

Matt

22. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Lost Cananda Goose :D
    JS

23. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Good idea, i'd be interested to know what it actually is.

24. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I se no-one has mentioned the possibility of it being the wonderful SR-71 Blackbird! It's more SR-71 shaped but (allegedly) they stopped flying those about 6 years ago. Saying that, if it was in '98 this pic was taken then that
    theoretically could be it?

I know they didn't routinely fly them to the UK but it could maybe have
    been going to an air show here perhaps? Bear in mind the last flight
    was just 13 months after this pic was taken, maybe it could have been part
    of a 'farewell tour' of airshows? I know it's been at Farnborough several
    times before although that's earlier in the year (usually in July).

Any takers?

25. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Humm.......(scratches chin)The Blackbird has quite a specific shape as does the shuttle. Due to the massive Jets on both wings I would have thought they would be visible. But then again it could be fly poo ;) :laugh: .
    I have emailed an imaging lab and await their reply.

Matt

26. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I saw one fly over while I was at collage many years ago. It was low and wasn't going particularly fast. This was in Bury St Edmunds.

27. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking at the size against the cloud type (cumulus) the object wouldnt be any more
    than a few thousand feet up, at which point, boy - you'd have heard it!!!

Having plane-spotted many a delta winged aircraft, it -may- have been Concorde,
    unlikely, but the noise would have been strikingly obvious...

My guess...

....its a bird with long wingspan IMHO