1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space: Above & Beyond

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Rasczak, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It's been rumoured for awhile but it finally looks like Space: Above & Beyond is finally coming to Region 1 DVD :clap:

As an aside, another lost classic SciFi series, Earth 2 has just been released on DVD (Region 1).

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    This show had a lot of potentiall and was treated really poorly with its last episode cliff hanger that never got resolved.
    I might have to get it :)

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A Best Buy presentation, won't be rushing out to get that since there is likely to be a full release complete with extras at a later date.
    You only have to look at the BSG release to realise they are pulling a fast one on the US consumer even if the boxset is cheaper than the later mainstream "official" release.

4. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yipppeeeee!

great news.

5. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any news if it's going to have a 5.1 soundtrack?

6. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Finally! Been waiting for ages for this to come out. Wish they would have made more than one series though. I thought it was a great show. It dealt with the human issues of war in quite a nice way I thought.

7. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I loved the episode with Cooper on a planet on his own, which had almost no dialogue in it.

It's a shame how some futuristic TV Series don't seem to go down well. Space Above and Beyond, Firefly, Babylon five had it problems. I sure there are a few more that I can't think of right now.

8. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yeah, it's a real shame especially in the case of Space Above and Beyond. When you look at shows like Star Trek: Voyager, X-Files and Stargate: SG1 and how long they were kept going, you wonder how SAB couldn't muster more than one season.

Even so, it was a quality season that it had. I'd rather keep the one quality season, rather than make do with a number of sub standard ones. Still, would have been better if they made just one more season :thumbsup: .

9. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It's always the case of the sheep keeping the dross (Coronation Street-how many more years is this going to go on for :suicide: ) and the good well written stuff is moved around the schedule Space: Above & Beyond, Buffy, Angel, American Gothic, Wolf Lake, Babylon 5, Crusade, Farscape, Angel and these are just the ones I can think of off of the top of my head that seemed to get either shifted around or cancelled before their time.

Wyy are genre things always p!$$ed around with and crap like soaps, Celebrity things and Big Brother get given priority over other things?

10. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with you completely genre programming always gets messed around and treated extremely badly on terrestrial TV. However it does seem more of a vendetta against US programming, which is clearly superior, because you only need to see the recent series of Doctor Who made by the BBC to show they know how to treat a series well. Mass advertising and prime time positioning while better American programming gets cut to shreds and slotted into kiddie time-slot around teatime

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

At $2million an episode back in 1995/96 a network show would have to be no.1 not only in it's timeslot but for the whole week to get renewed. S:AB didn't do too badly but certainly didn't get the ratings to justify it's costs which as you say is a shame since it was a well written and produced show.

It also lacked the backing of a franchise which no doubt helped Voyager and once established the same applied to The X-Files. SG1 can't be compared since it was on the Premium Showtime channel and then on the subscription SciFi channel which have totally different business models to FOX.

Bottom line we have another in the long line of genre programming that could have done well but when things started to look iffy FOX did their usual schedule shuffle which virtually always kills a show.

12. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any news on a proper release yet?

13. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I buy this from, Best buy dont ship to the UK.

14. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jerkyboy, you can't buy this yet the only place you can buy it worldwide legally is best buy... That is why I was inquiring to see if it's got a proper release date yet. Best buy also had an exclusive on Battlestar Gallactica 2004 back in June and in a few weeks it will be released properly elsewhere in region 1 with a superior version including the mini-series, commentaries and other extras not on the best buy exclusive. So I would expect that the space above and beyond national region 1 release to hit the streets in two or three months just in time for Christmas with more extras.

15. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Having got the whole series from when it was originally broadcast it's amazing how good it still is. Looking forward to a proper release for this as it's a shame how it ended.

Here's hoping for a Christmas release on it :)

16. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you never know if the DVDs sell well enough they may well resurrect space, above and beyond as the cost of CGI has dramatically came down since the series was initially made. I'm sure they could come up with new stories, possibly setting it 10 years + later or something like that. They could probably reunite most of the cast if they wanted since to the best of my knowledge none of its stars have gone on to better things. I'd watch it if they did!!!!

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Yeah but no-one watched this series. Its unlikely to get any sort of continuation.

Just be thankful Firefly is still clinging on at least for one movie.

18. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D , that in fact is wrong! Space Above and Beyond was quite a popular show but because at the time it was the most expensive science fiction show ever made, the networks demanded exceptional ratings instead only delivering good ratings. It's cost was it's demise.

it may be a long shot to get the series continued however TV networks and studios are always looking for new ways to make money. If Space Above and Beyond proves to be a big seller there is every chance that a new series could be picked up.

After axing Firefly prematurely and the less than spectacular Tru Calling Fox could be looking for an new series and by picking up a series with an established fan base could be a huge advantage in the ratings, leading to more DVD sales and if the series lasts long enough potentially could go into syndication.

19. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that Movietyme have managed to get their hands on some of the Best Buy exclusive DVDs of Space : above & beyond, which is great for fans in the UK! :thumbsup:

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29548

Unfortunately Movietyme have taken this opportunity to fleece its customers with a ridiculous $81 price tag. :thumbsdow

I think I'll wait for the proper region 1 release which will be nearly half the price and probably contain more extras than this exclusive early deal.

Just out of curiosity has anybody bought this from Movietyme? If so does it have 5.1 audio? :confused:

20. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202

Translates to about £44.00. does seem a bit pricy doesnt it?

21. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thats looks like a UK price, so yes it is pricey Dave.

Gary

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,184
    Remember though that is the Official Region 1 release, the one Movietyme have is the Best Buy Exclusive and considering Best Buy dont ship internationally its not suprising Movietyme are charging abit more for it.

Personally I am going to wait for the proper R1 release in November as it will most likely have better extras and is alot cheaper.

24. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Space Above and Beyond DVD release could be delayed since they will most likely have to change their DVD menus due to a massive mistake as it features the Babylon 5 station on the menu pictures. I imagine Warner Brothers will be suing Fox although I've heard nothing official.

[​IMG]

25. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That's just priceless:)

26. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Doh!!!

:oops:

Spanners

I don't know which is more suitable.

27. pags payback

pags payback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an interesting web chat Transcript from 98 about S:AaB....

http://www.scifi.com/transcripts/MorganWong.html

28. pags payback

pags payback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a quick boost for Space Above & Beyond fans if you haven't already read the above transcript

29. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0