1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP50L7HX Picture Settings Help Needed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ruby, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I just took delivery of my new Samsung SP50L7HX yesterday. I spent most of yesterday moving it into position (it isn't easy trying to move this thing across carpet on your own) and setting it up. Anyway, after spending a while fiddling with the picture settings, I still can't find a setting I'm happy with.

The one thing I am sure about is that the DNIe feature seems to make everything look worse (ie. all the whites are whiter but everything also looks kind of blocky). I'd be interested to know from other owners of this TV model as to what picture settings they are using.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Kableman has some good settings.

3. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Razor.

Another problem that I've just noticed is a horizontal juddering effect near the top of the screen (about 6 inches from the top). This is different from the juddering problem that I've seen mentioned in some other threads (ie. with Sky logos etc.). I've only noticed this while playing DVDs at the moment (my Toshiba DVD player is connected via component). The problem is particularly noticeable on DVD menu screens as you can see part of the text juddering slightly from side to side. I tried to watch a bit of Attack Of The Clones this morning and it wasn't easy watching Count Dooku's forehead shaking horizontally.

Any ideas?

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Have you tried another dvd player? Are you inputting comp-i or comp-p?

5. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Razor,

Unfortunately I don't have another DVD player with a component connection.

You'll have to forgive my technical knowledge as I'm quite new in this field. What's the difference between comp-i and comp-p, and what do I need to do to change between the two?

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Try using a scart connection then and see if it is the same result.

Comp-i is interlaced input.
    Comp-p is progressive input (non-interlaced)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-5020359-1.html?legacy=cnet

Does your dvd player have a progressive output. If so switch it off and output an interlaced pic. Make sure your set is set to comp-i and see the results.

What dvd player are you using?

:D

7. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Razor,

I'll try the scart connection later on.

I'm using a Toshiba SD-210EB DVD player (which is about 4 years old). It doesn't have progressive output.

I don't know how to set my TV to comp-i. It doesn't seem to be a subject that is covered in the instruction manual.

I'm thinking about getting a new DVD player. If it turns out to have progressive output, should the TV be set to comp-p instead?

The progressive scan article seems to be about jaggedness on straight edges in a picture. The problem I'm experiencing only seems to occur at a certain horizontal section of the screen and affect everything (not just straight edges). Do you think a DVD player with progressive output would help with this?

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

:hiya:

Progressive basically has all the lines working at the same time. This gives you a solid picture. Interlaced displays lines 1,3,5,7,9 and 2,4,6,8,10 etc. making up the picture you see on the screen. Your display will automatically turn your interlaced picture into a progressive one if you input comp-i. If you input comp-p it will leave the signal as it is and do no processing with the picture.

It all depends on how good the de-interlacer is at processing the picture from an interlaced to a non interlaced picture. If your spending around 1k then the dvd player may have a better de-interlacer than your display. If your spending no where near this amount I guess your display would do a better job.

Is there an input at the back the says comp-i and comp-p I have both of these inputs on my set. If you input on comp-i this should be right for your display.

Give the scart ago, or try hooking up a pc with a copy of windvd7 or this codec pack. Use the DVI conection if possible if not the VGA will do.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm

You could also try out some HD demos. :smashin:

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=6537

:thumbsup:

9. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Having had the TV for 2 days now, I've got to say that I'm a bit disappointed with the picture. I've tried various settings, but none of them can overcome the black level problem. During day time scenes, things usually look OK. However, during dark scenes, all of the black backgrounds appear to be dark grey. I've tried reducing the brightness to 0 in order to get a true black, but even that didn't work. I sold my old 43 inch 4:3 Toshiba rear projection TV to get this Samsung. The Toshiba, although not perfect, produced far better black levels than the Samsung.

Is this black level problem a Samsung issue or does it affect all DLP TVs?

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I think it is how you have it set up mate. Have you used a disc such as Aria or DVE. You could also use the THX video setup on THX discs (star wars has it)

If you search through Kablemans posts for his setting you should be fine or pm him for his settings.

DLP has the best black levels and black detail of any display.

Have you tried turning p the intensity of the bulb instead of the brightness. This should give you what you want and need.

:)

11. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Razor,

I've tried Kableman's settings. I've tried some of my own and I've also used the THX optimizer on The Phantom Menace DVD. I still can't achieve anywhere near a true black during dark scenes. Day time scenes can look fantastic, but dark scenes are a mess.

'Have you tried turning p the intensity of the bulb instead of the brightness.'

How do you do this?

In response to one of your earlier replies, the TV has only one set of component inputs, which aren't labelled either comp-i or comp-p.

If I can't resolve this black issue, I'm seriously thinking about sending this TV back and exchanging it for the Sagem 56 incher.

12. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    When I first bought the SP50 the picture in dark scenes was also my major concern with the set. My wife was also not happy with this, even during eastenders!

Reading this post reminded me of the problem. I would now say that it is no longer a problem. This is either that we have got used to it(probable). Or the set has improved after "burning in". As a disclaimer this is pure speculation on my part. I have no technical knowledge that would support the suggestion that this will improve over time.

13. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    DLPMaybe,

Do you have any experience with any other DLP models. The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if this issue is a Samsung problem only or are all DLPs affected by it?

14. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I had demonstrations of most of the DLP's available at the time. During these demos I did not notice the SP50 being worse than the others in this area. It was only when I got the set home that I initially noticed the problem.

15. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I don't know how long the Sagem 56 incher has been around, but is that one of the sets that you saw demonstrated? If so, how was it?

Also, have you connected your DVD player via component, and if so, did you notice the horizontal flickering problem that I mentioned at the start of this thread?

16. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Flickering:

I am trying to work out what you are seeing. Is this similar to the effect that you see when the Sky signal is sent via PAL rather that RGB?

Component:

Sorry I have never connected anything via component.

Sagem:

I think I did but cannot really comment on the picture quality. My memory is very bad! In order to get the wifes buy in on the TV it quickly became apparent that I would either have to get the SP50 or a plasma. I looked at most DLP's but maily just as a check that there was not anything significantly better that would warrant a battle to get that one. As I recall the Themescene in Hifi City was the closest in terms of quality. The Toshiba was unwatchable for me.

17. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    'Is this similar to the effect that you see when the Sky signal is sent via PAL rather that RGB?'

Not quite. It's more noticeable than that. The problem I'm referring to only seems to affect the top 6 or 7 inches of the screen. It's difficult to describe. It's like a slight flickering from side to side. It's especially noticeable when you're on the menu screen of a DVD as you can see parts of the text flickering. It's kind of like there is some interference in that section of the picture (but from what I have no idea).

18. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

The component input on the back of the sp50 is progressive. Not haqd and probs with black levels or juddering on mine. Ive seen the sagem in action and its very good but i still prefer the sp50.
    Bear in mind that some sky channels have a crappy bit rate which will hamper the PQ on a bigger screen.

19. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    br14n,

'The component input on the back of the sp50 is progressive. Not haqd and probs with black levels or juddering on mine. Ive seen the sagem in action and its very good but i still prefer the sp50.'

Does that mean that I need a DVD player with progressive output for maximum results (and to get rid of my DVD flickering problem)?

Also, can you get the black levels to look truely black during darker scenes as well as the day time scenes. Mine seems to go from looking excellent to a big grey mess depending on the scene.

20. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    My gut feeling on that would be the wires. You could try just having the TV and DVD on at the time (turn off amp and anything else to reduce chance of interference.). Try to keep the wires away from any other cables like power etc. See if that improves the image.

Also try changing the name of the input on the SP50 setup. This is shot in the dark but changing the name does change the way that the TV processes different sources.

21. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

A dvd player with component or hdmi will give eye watering images, you can pick up a samsung hd850 for around £100, my 945 does a stellar job with dvds. :clap: :clap:

22. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    DLPMaybe,
    Thanks for the advice about keeping the wires away from the power wires. I've only tested one DVD so far, but it seems to have worked.

However, it seems that when I solve one problem, another one arises. I only received the accompanying stand today and I'm sure that I've assembled it correctly. However, the bottom triangular section sticks out a few inches too far. This didn't look right to me, and having looked at some of the other forum members' Samsung SP50L7HX home theatre pictures on this forum, this was confirmed. Everybody else's stand lines up at the front with the TV's glass base.

Should I send this stand back?

23. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No problem. This may mean that your cable is cheap. It may be worth investing a couple quid on a better cable.

Ain't that the truth!

I did not get a stand with my TV so I am not sure. What side of the TV are you putting the stand? Even though it look symmetrical apparently it only fits correctly on one side. I think the right hand side.

24. Tone

Tone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The stand only fits to the left of the TV base. It does not fit entirely flush, I found that the glass shelves were touching the TV pedestal. If you leave it an inch away from the TV stand it should line up OK. Just place your DVD / Sky equipment accross the gap, don't think anyone will notice!!

25. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've been putting the stand on the left-hand side as it doesn't fit at all on the right-hand side.

Tone,
    I know that the solution that you have suggested will work. However, having looked at some of the pictures of other forum members' stands (like the ones below), I find that theirs line up far better than mine.

Attached Files:

26. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ruby mine is the setup on the left and i had no problem setting it up,you just slide it back and forward until its fairly flush(it isnt perfect)if it wont i suppose there is a chance they have cut the glass wrong?

sheep

27. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    hey thats my photo on the right :) Ruby can you post a photo of yours so we can see what you mean by its not lining up? you have to slide it around until it does.

28. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    indie24,

Here you go. As you can see, the stand seems to stick out a bit too much. I don't don't know if it's clear from the pictures, but I can't slide it any further back as the upper shelves are already almost touching the pedestal.

On another matter, I've had to remove my amp, speakers and sub because, as you can see from the pictures, they are too big to fit comfortably on either side of the TV. I'm also a bit concerned about putting an almost 20kg amp on the TV's top shelf.

As an alternative, I've been thinking about getting a home cinema DVD player system, but have found it difficult to find one that has everything I need ie. multi-regional, progressive output, HDMI and component. I don't want to have to buy a DVD player and then send it away to get chipped. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

29. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    that definately aint right. Can you take a photo of the stand without your equipment in there. Are you sure the glass stand can not be pushed further back. Also put your rubber foot thing on the screw pole on the stand which sits on the glass. Dont want to damage the stand :devil:

p.s My glass touches the pedastal i think

30. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    i have also noticed on my pic the plastic tube which sits on the stand is about 5-8 inches into the stand. Yours is sitting about 2 inches which means it needs to slide back alot more