SP50L7HX PC resolution on VGA input

T

tombradshaw

Hi,
I've searched but can't seem to find the answer to this, I have a SP50L7HX and have connected my PC to it via the VGA input. I am using a ATI Radeon 9250 using the latest drivers, I have set the resolution to the following :-
1280 x 720, I get the picutre cut off (overscanned?) all teh way round
1280 x 768, I get the picture fitting but with a 2cm gap all round the edge.

I have the powerstrip demo, but not sure how this will help now?

How has everybody else got on with connecting there PC?

Thanks
Tom

Tom, I use my 46" Samsung as a PC monitor using the VGA socket. I use powerstrip to to resize the display to the correct resalution of 1280x720. Connect your PC to the set and press the Picture Size button on the remote, this will bring up the option to adjust the position and size of the display. I use Power DVD to play DVD's using my PC as the player, the quality is fantastic. It is well worth fiddleing with the settings untill you get it perfect.
Best wishes
Peter

Hi,
If I set the resolution to 1280 x 720 the options to change picture size are greyed out? if I set to 1280 x 768 I can change the setting but they don't seem to help?
Thanks

tombradshaw said:
Hi,
If I set the resolution to 1280 x 720 the options to change picture size are greyed out? if I set to 1280 x 768 I can change the setting but they don't seem to help?
Thanks

Have you tried a DVI connection this sould solve your problems. (if you have one)

The Optoma RD range on a DVI connection has an overscan of about 1% which isnt really noticeable.

Can you not resize the desktop and strech the pic/compress the pic from with in your graphics program (ATI/Nvida). You should be able to move the x/y axis as well if you are using the VGA connection.

Are your drivers upto date?

Havn't got a HDMI DVI cable, might get one to find out.

I downloaded the latest drivers first, have tried the setting but no luck

anybody else use a ATI card?

Have you messed about with the HDTv support with in the ATI card. There is an option to display 720p or 1080i

I tried the 720p, didn't make any difference, and 1080i made the display overscanned by a large amount. but these are on the trouble shooting page?

Go to catalyst, HDTV support.

Choose 720p in predefined HDTV formats, click 720p, add. You will now see a rectangle and a load of arrows. You should be able to adjust from here.

If this doesnt work, give up and buy a 6600GT (excellent for HD), they cost about £100 and they have a DVI out which is a far better connection. The 9250 is an old bottom of the range card.

:)

Hi,
I have now installed the catalyst software (didn't want .NET installed now i have to get rid of the user it creates), just seems to be a different way of accessing the same properties as the normal drivers???
I can find any section for HDTV support? the only reference I can find is to 720p and 1080i in a section titled Monitor Properties/Troubleshooting?
You seem sure about the HDTV support? am I using something different?

BTW the 9250 does have DVI out but am connecting from the VGA port to the SP50 VGA port.

Thanks
Tom

tombradshaw said:
Hi,
I have now installed the catalyst software (didn't want .NET installed now i have to get rid of the user it creates), just seems to be a different way of accessing the same properties as the normal drivers???
I can find any section for HDTV support? the only reference I can find is to 720p and 1080i in a section titled Monitor Properties/Troubleshooting?
You seem sure about the HDTV support? am I using something different?

BTW the 9250 does have DVI out but am connecting from the VGA port to the SP50 VGA port.

Thanks
Tom

Use the DVI if you can it is far superior connection to VGA.

Have you got the full version of catalyst or did you go for the smaller download? You need the 32.6meg file.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Display Driver,
CATALYST Control Center,
WDM Integrated Driver
Download
1 of 1 32.6 04/07/05

1 package - English only
Note you must have Microsoft .NET Framework installed prior to downloading and installing this file.

As it says you must have net 1.1 installed for it to work.

Here is the HDTV support selection. I have taken a pic for you to see. I might only work via a DVI connecton.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_02042.JPG
    IMG_02042.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 138
Hi Razor - I connected up my PC via DVI->HDMI with 1280x720p @ 60Hz just as I did on the Toshiba (and it does appear crisp and sharp) but it does have a significant amount of overscan (you can just see the top of the start bar at the bottom but not the clock to the right), just as it did on my Toshiba 46WM48. I tried adjusting the overscan on the Toshiba using Powerstrip but didn't manage to get it working. I'll try powerstrip again with the Samsung to see if it works (as its manual helpfully includes the exact horizontal and vertical frequencies to use).

It is annoying - but I guess the overscan is needed for normal TV. It's also annoying that the resize/re-position functions of the TV and the catalyst drivers under windows are always disabled in this mode.

I managed to watch a HD demo though and it was sweet :thumbsup: just as sharp but at the same time smoother than the Toshiba - very impressive :smashin:

I've not tried VGA yet - but on the Toshiba 1280x720 never worked via VGA at all - you had to use 1280x768 - maybe tombradshaw you should try that on the Samsung?

Cheers
KableMan

Hi,
As you say I think catalyst does only work with the DVI connection, no option on my setup, I dont get the digital display options.
I am using 1280x768 at the moment, I think it gives the best option, despite not using ~10% of the screen!
I will have a go with a DVI - HDMI connection and see how that works, but I didn't want to use up that connection in case I want to use it in future.

Thanks
Tom

Kableman

There are a few new posts in HD on DLP thread for more HD material. Glad your enjoying your Tosh. :)

Tom

Worry about that connection when the time comes, not to use it now is a bit of a waste. When the time comes buy a hdmi/dvi swapper they will be popular and affordable as most people will need one. :thumbsup:

Razor said:
Kableman There are a few new posts in HD on DLP thread for more HD material. Glad your enjoying your Tosh. :)

Cheers Razor - but I'm enjoying my new gorgious Samsung SP50L7HX far better ;) :D and I'll definately check out the HD demos thanks :thumbsup:

tombradshaw - I too want to use my HDMI for a dedicated upscaling DVD player and eventually a HD-DVD but at the moment the former are few and far between (I wanted a Samsung HD-950 or Panasonic S97 and no-one has them in stock or will have for another 2-6 weeks!) and the latter is some way off. So connecting your PC up via DVI->HDMI may be the only option for some time. If I can overcome the overscan this is what I may do.

Cheers
KableMan

KableMan said:
Cheers Razor - but I'm enjoying my new gorgious Samsung SP50L7HX far better ;) :D and I'll definately check out the HD demos thanks :thumbsup:

KableMan

Sorry mate I ment Samsung :blush:

Hey Razor - no problems :)

Ok I spent a few hours last night messing about with DVI->HDMI and powerstrip but I still could not eliminate or significantly reduce the overscan. I tried all the 1280x720 resolutions and at least one exactly matched that specified in the Samsung Manual but still I had lots of overscan. I managed to move the desktop right and up so the start bar and left hand icons were all visible but I pretty much lost over half of My Documents which I have top left and could not see any of the clock which is bottom right.

I had similar problems on the Toshiba. Has anyone been able to resolve the overscan to within exceptable limits on the Samsung - or any DLP for that matter? If so can you post your settings please.

I have an ATI 9800PRO with 128MB and the latest Catalyst drivers and powerstrip. If I use 1024x768 its perfect but its a 4:3 resolution.

I'm off to try and find the Toshiba posts on this same subject...

Cheers
KableMan

KableMan said:
Hey Razor - no problems :)

Ok I spent a few hours last night messing about with DVI->HDMI and powerstrip but I still could not eliminate or significantly reduce the overscan. I tried all the 1280x720 resolutions and at least one exactly matched that specified in the Samsung Manual but still I had lots of overscan. I managed to move the desktop right and up so the start bar and left hand icons were all visible but I pretty much lost over half of My Documents which I have top left and could not see any of the clock which is bottom right.

I had similar problems on the Toshiba. Has anyone been able to resolve the overscan to within exceptable limits on the Samsung - or any DLP for that matter? If so can you post your settings please.

I have an ATI 9800PRO with 128MB and the latest Catalyst drivers and powerstrip. If I use 1024x768 its perfect but its a 4:3 resolution.

I'm off to try and find the Toshiba posts on this same subject...

Cheers
KableMan

Kableman :hiya:

My overscan is only a few lines over so it really doesnt bother me, however if i had the amount of overscan you describe I would try and solve it.
Have you read through powerstrips manual, as one of its main purposes it to correct faults such as these.

What happens if you enter 1200x700 in powerstrip? or something similar but less than 1280x720.

Good luck :smashin:

Kableman the ATI cards have a 1% overscan built in with DVI & this is what i see on my RD50 . I tried removing the overscan with powerstrip but it kept reverting to the 1% overscan.

St_ve said:
Kableman the ATI cards have a 1% overscan built in with DVI & this is what i see on my RD50 . I tried removing the overscan with powerstrip but it kept reverting to the 1% overscan.

:hiya:
I never bother trying steve. But its handy to know that no one can get rid of the overscan.

As you say 1% isnt noticable. :D

Kableman - when i had the Sammie i too had overscan via HDMI so i used VGA at a resolution 1280 x 768 and it displays perfectly with no borders or noticable overscan and no discernable PQ loss.
I did not have the tv long enough to fiddle with powerstrip for the HDMI connection.
I was using an ATI card. :)

What does this reolution (1280 X 768) display like on HDMI ?

Hey Guys - :hiya: TYN - good to hear from you again and cheers for the help :smashin:

Ok - I'm a bit disbelieving of what I've just done at the moment and I'm afraid to touch anything in case I break it - but it looks like i've just cracked the overscan :clap: :thumbsup:

I started my PC in standard 1024x768 res and connected the DVI->HDMI. This works fine with the Samsung as it recognises this res straight away and immediately you have dual displays showing the same desktop image.

I then started up powerstrip and went to the custom resolutions and chose 1280x720 (EIA/CEA-861-B) as this is the resolution listed as supported in the Samsung manual. I've attached an image of the Custom Resolution Screen showing the resolution I chose. I applied this resolution and it worked (as it had before) with the usual overscan as we've all seen and described.

I then remained on the "Advanced Timing Options" screen and decided to try the Position and Size buttons again. I clicked the -><- size button (the one that looks like it should reduce the width of the screen) and as I did the display moved right with each click (but did not get narrower) - just as it has done before - but I carried on clicking until the screen went blank (as it does when you go outside the scan range) but when it returned the overscan was gone and I had a perfect 1280x720 HDMI picture with everything visible! I was gobsmacked! I'm sure I tried this yesterday - but maybe I didn't keep clicking enough? I've also attached an image of this screen so you can see the exact settings.

I've now saved these settings so I don't lose them!! The TV is in 16:9 mode but if you attempt to change this the display resets itself and the overscan returns so its important to save the profile.

I'm totally amazed and very very happy! I really didn't think it was going to be possible! Right I'm off to download some more lovely HD demos :clap:

Oh - is it true that anything I now play through my PC is automatically scaled to 720p as it would be on an upscaling DVD player?

I hope this post and the attachments help others in the same boat - Good Luck :smashin:

Cheers
KableMan

Attachments

• powerstrip-1.JPG
    powerstrip-1.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 194
  • powerstrip-2.JPG
    powerstrip-2.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 182
I think powerstrip is a great program. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?