1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP50L7HX display sizing problem with MCE

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AV Alan, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AV Alan

AV Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

The good news is that I now have my SP50 connected via HDMI after messing around with powerstrip etc to get the display size correct, all that was needed in the end was to edit the name of the HDMI input to PC. For a PC display everything is now perfect (No need for powerstrip).

I mostly use MCE (Windows Media Centre Edition) for watching TV and Video. My problem is that when viewing freeview channels some of the picture is cut off. For example on sky news, part of the logo is off the top of the screen and part of the scrolling news text at the bottom is missing.

Now I think the problem is just with freeview channels. Using the SP50 as a PC monitor its perfect - the start button etc is in exactly the right place.

If I run the MCE TV setup I can get the picture size on the test video perfectly correct. I think DVDs are OK (its difficult to tell if a small part is missing). Based on the above I think the problem is not with the SP50 or video card, but with the way the freeview tuner cards (2 x black gold signature cards) are presenting the TV signal to the video card. (Apologies if this makes it "off topic")

I cant find any settings at all for the black gold card - has anyone experienced a similar problem or has any suggestions?

Thanks
    Alan

2. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whether this will help, but my friend runs MCE connected to the sky box and I suspect the freeview is the same sort of setup ? If so, does the box have a setting for aspect ratio like Sky does - ie 4:3 standard, letterbox, 16:9, etc ?

Might be worth checking.

Other than that I saw similar issues to what you describe on my folks Panasonic CRT with the SMART (or not so smart as it turned out) setting for auto-fitting the picture to the width/height of the screen (no MCE involved here though). Setting it to a specific mode on the TV and problem no longer appears - not sure if there is a setting for that on the Sammy - but anyway, that's my two guesses :D Good luck ! MCE can be a pig to configure especially if you don't have the right codecs for the video card, in which case the pic ends up freezing/locking up after a while, but once it's running it's pretty sweet.