1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP50L6HX or the PEDESTAL 50'' ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by malso, Aug 4, 2005.

1. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now then guys ha ha?

which will be the best, the new SP50L6HX (HLR) or our current sp50 pedestal...
    the 50 is not out yet, but will be soon!

Attached Files:

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Anyone any idea when this will be released in the UK?

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I think the SP50L6HX will use the HD4 chip, whereas the SP50L7HX pedestal model uses the HD2+ chip. So, I suspect the L6 model won't match the sharpness of the L7's picture. But, that's all guess-work.

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please forgive me if i'm wrong, but i would have thought the L6 would use the HD3 accross the board? I know that the SP46L6 uses the HD3 - and i would therefore have thought the SP50L6 would also :confused:

Prior to purchasing the L7 i also looked at the L6 (behind each other in the same store), and bearing in mind that i read on these forums that the HD3 chip was made for mass production (and at a fraction of the cost of the HD2+ - and wouldn't therefore be as sharp) the picture actually looked sharper and more clearer than the L7!! Although i didn't like the metal cabinet it was sitting on or the smaller screen so went for the L7 :)

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think you're confusing the SP46L6 with the SP46L3 which uses the HD3 DMD. When did you do the comparison.

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    About 2 months ago, its so blinking confusing with all these sets looking the same and model number after model number - if Samsung can't get it right on there website what chance have we got :eek:

8. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the Newer H6X will be better than the older one, but WHY is it cheaper?! The other post didn't answer any questions.

What are the differences?

9. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    the main difference is that one set comes perched on top of a stand that looks like a lamp post :devil:
    and the other is more traditional as it can be placed on a stand that actually takes your other equipment.
    newer models are'nt always better quality wise than older ones, I got a toshiba 51wh36 crt rptv as I'd already got a 43" fullscreen tosh crt rptv which is great, the newer 51" was crap compared to the one I'd already got so I sent it back, very dissapointing that whole debarkle.
    hopefully as dlp is a newer technology the manufacturers will still be making improvements as they introduce new models though, fingers crossed :)

10. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    AFAIK, the newer SPxxL6HX models use the HD4 chip, whereas the older SP50L7HX model uses the HD2+ chip. The HD4 chip is a smaller chip, cheaper to produce, and uses wobulation to double it's native resolution from 640x720 to 1280x720, whereas the HD2+ chip is 1280x720 on the chip itself, and so is more expensive to produce.

They both produce excellent picture quality, but do it in slightly different ways. The HD2+ chip is believed to give a slightly crisper, sharper picture than the HD4 chip that relies on wobulation, although I can't say I've noticed any lack of sharpness in the picture on my SP46L6HX.

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It's cheaper because as technology matures and moves on prices invariably come down. Look at the prices of LCDs and plasmas compared to a year ago, it's just the normal way of things.

12. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    In the looks-wise department I think both models look fine in their own right :D

Though I'm not sure about the 46" L6HX's stand. I saw the SP46L6HX on its Samsung stand in Comet yesterday & it actually looks fine apart from the fact that the stand isn't as 'roomy' as it could be - a possible issue if you have lots of AV equipment :confused:

As for technology, like Lion mentioned something newer is not necessarily 'better' :( which is always a shame.....

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think they both look ok, but its the 56'' non-pedestal i'm after, i wont bother quotting the damn code anymore...too complicated to type :rotfl: :rotfl:

14. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that set will eVER come to the UK...

15. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually the 56'' might be too big.....anything over 50'' looked too big in currys today, especially from only 10 ft away :rolleyes:

but 46'' looked too small :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

16. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  17. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hmmm food for thought, other half hated the 50" cause of the space age pedestal and speakers on the sides of the screen. but if we got one coming with a normal pedestal and pretty much identical to sp46 looks then I can lie thru my teeth and tell her its a 46" she agreed to and not a 50" ;)