SP46L6HX and PS2 through component

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by polygon_monkey, Nov 3, 2005.

1. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just got an official PS2 component cable today (first component cable to arrive - I have the Xbox and Gamecube ones on the way) and whilst the picture quality is far, far better than the RGB scart I was using I now have 2" black bars at either side of the image. Is this an issue with the TV (can other SP46L6HX owners confirm) or a PS2 issue. If it's a TV issue, can it be sorted through the service menu. There aren't the resize controls on component like what you get when you have your PC through HDMI.

2. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    This is on widescreen images, yes?
    I have small black bars on my PS2 via component when a game is in 16:9 Widescreen like Tekken 5 or GT4, though they seem less than 2" buy a tad. To my knowledge it's because the games are not anamorphic widescreen and therefore does not quite fit.Top and bottom is okay, just not the width. DVD via component is fine.
    I've not tried Scart as I don't have one. Are there any black bars when using RGB?

Supposedly Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 is 16:9 anamorphic. Once I get that (next week probably) I'll try that and see if there is any difference.

3. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried DMC3 (which is not widescreen but the TV is in 16:9 mode) and Ratchet and Clank 3 (which was widescreen) and they both have the bars. They weren't there when running through scart. These games don't have progressive scan though, gonna try a progressive scan game tonight (not there there are many pscan games for ps2 PAL :( )

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm not sure if component has auto aspect ratio switching unlike Scart which passes the WSS signal to your TV to tell it that the image is widescreen. What do you have the Psize set to for this input?

5. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll check when I get home.

6. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I'm pretty sure the SP46 doesn't do auto aspect ratio on component or HDMI for that matter (options for HDMI are only 16:9 and 4:3). And I don't think component has the WSS signal either.
    I know for component I have 16:9 but I will switch to 4:3 using P.Size for non-widescreen games.

7. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PMode is 16:9. Game is set to 16:9. Also now in progressive scan :

[​IMG]

8. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Yep, that's exactly what I have on my SP46 - the same borders.
    I'm not sure but like I said it may be because the PS2 does not do anamorphic 16:9 games, unlike say the Xbox. But I'm not absolutely sure.
    At least there's no screen burn with DLP's!
    I have also noticed a slight geometry prob in 4:3 where the centre of the screen is slightly pinched inward, kinda like an hour glass shape but very slight.
    You'll have to try an Xbox next, see how that turns out (I sold mine :()!

9. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My old Toshiba CRT had the same borders either side with my PS2, my GC and Xbox are fine though, they fill the whole screen on both my old Toshiba and my Sasmung SP46. I'm pretty sure it's just a 'quirk' of the PS2 and nothing wrong with the SP46.

10. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, got my Gamecube component cables and I get the same thing :(

[​IMG]

That's NTSC progressive scan.

Here are some bonus PS2 NTSC progressive scan :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    It's the same with Soul Calibur III (US NTSC).
    If it seems to be only on component abd not on scart then I can only assume it has something to do with the scart/component signal and how the SP46 displays it. I do have the same thing on my 28" JVC tv when connected by component - there are borders visible left and right though not as obvious as the SP46.
    It's no problem as when I play games I rarely notice the borders. If it were on DVD's however then that would be very annoying!

12. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ooh, the 2 best games of this year in one single post :cool:

I'm pretty sure these borders are just a resolution quirk the PS2 and GC have via component, possibly because these are modded machines and/or aren't PAL games running, hence why were losing a few lines of resolution. The Xbox doesn't have the problem because the games and machines are all the same throughout the world, only region lockout coding prevents them not working in different regions. Nothing in the games or the hardware itself differs from PAL or NTSC regions if you understand me.

13. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cool. Still waiting on tronixweb to get Xbox Hi-Def kits back in :(

14. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not to be a stickler, oh alright then.. ps2 component isnt really any different to rgb I have the sammy sp50lh7xx and I bought both a ps2 monster rgb cable.. best in the world imho, and an ixos ps2 component, and apart from yuv having a wider analogue colourspace i.e. green is more natural to the human eye, the level of detail and sharpness is nigh indestinguishable.

See I cant get on with 480p on console games see once I had seen doom 3 pc ver and half life 2 at 720p, I found 480p console game textures look too low rez and lacking that direct x pixel shader gloss that rptv's need.

I know graphics are not the be all and end all but lets face it we all like eye candy, and any footy fan who has played pro evo5 pc ver at 720p just cant go back to the fugly ps2 ver.. it just looks so dry and dull.

My verdict is if you have a dlp or lcd tv to play games on then only 1:1 pixel map, and regarding the ps2 as Ive ranted off topic :oops: for the best pq available japanese rgb or very rare d-terminal to the xrgb2 converter is best upscaling to 1024x768i.
    I dont know much about the other ps2 vga boxes that deinterlace, but I heard the xrgb2 is the daddy!

15. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hmm at £140 I'll give it a miss I think. :rolleyes: link
    And as I've never seen a game running at 720p I can't comment on its PQ, though I would assume it's a better PQ. I've only seen games running at 480p, 525p etc. I'm very happy with the PQ of Soul Calibur III, Tekken 5 and GT4 for example (still waiting for my NTSC Resi 4 to turn up).
    I'm happy with my lot! :D

16. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Happy 4 ya mate! but lets face it you dont buy a ferrari to rev up to 5000rpm? :cool:
    rptv's look spiffy at high resolutions thats why you bought it and not some piddly 854 rez plasma!

Think all those poor lonely mirrors on the chip that get left out when they could all come out to play and make your eyes very happy :D you may be satisfied at the mo but your eyes will cry out for more pixels and at 50" your games need em! trust me :lesson:

17. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  18. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Tried "Resident Evil 4" at last. Long wait thanks to Customs (shakes fist). It too has borders left and right though full screen top and bottom.
    PQ is a little smeary due to some dark levels in the game. Apart from that looks fine.

Once I get my 360 I'll be seeing the good stuff!