1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP46L6 is going back!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Caimbeul, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Alas, I received it on Saturday and was very impressed with the set in all areas but suffer from rainbows :mad: not to the point of headaches/nauscia etc but to the point of irritation and distraction.

WHY OH WHY!? I now have to consider LCD or Plasma but cant get anywhere near the same size for the price...this sucks :mad:

2. scookar

scookar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You might want to give it a couple of days though if possible.

When i first got my Sagem, found rainbows quite irritating on a couple of dvds in particular but have found that i am now less sensitive to them.

also found that it was worst when watching tv when i was very tired (which probably isn't a good idea anyway).

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Give it time to settle in.

First of alll try reducing colour, brightness and contrast (especially contrast :rolleyes: ) from the factory settings. These are fairly OTT out of the box.

My friend is "susceptible" and noticed rainbows with this set from day one, but maintains that after an hour or so they diminish greatly or cease altogether. Also as the set has been run in over a few weeks, the occurence of the initial rainbow effect is less frequent / of shorter duration, to the point that a few weeks after buying it he barely notices them at all.

It has been suggested that this is the viewer getting used to the effect, but he maintains that this is not the case, and insists that they definitely diminish on the same discs or disappear.

Could this possibly have to do with the colour wheel rotating more smoothly as the set gets warmed up or "worn in"?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Well, yes, give it time by all means.........but not to the extent that you lose your option to return it. You could well be one of the unfortunates who simply don't get along with the constant colour changing/flashing.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    You should have a 28-30 day "cooling off" period. My guess is that unless you are ultra sensitive to the effect, you will notice a dramatic improvement before then.

I'm one of those jammy sods that isn't susceptible, and have only noticed two distinct occurences of rainbows. One is on the THX Optomizer on the screen ratio test where the white circle is on the black background. Moving my eyes rapidly across the screen results in colour fringing on the circle.

The second is when I turn my head quickly away from the screen I catch a split-second rainbow flash at the very edge of my vision, almost peripherally. I have noticed after about half-an-hour or so even this effect disappears, no matter how I try to force it.

Hope you get "Over the Rainbow" :D and get to enjoy your set. :smashin:

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I got 10 days I think with RGB Direct, then they wanted a £300 re-stocking fee, despite it coming direct from Toshiba. Only bought it from them as they were cheap and they mentioned on their web site that the set came directly from Tosh, not themselves. I naively thought that I'd thus only be dealing directly with Toshiba should anything happen. Sadly Toshiba didn't want to know. The moment they'd delivered the set that was it - 'contact your dealer' was the only response I could get out of them.

In the end I'm glad I kept it as it's a great TV with a Lumagen. And either the Lumagen's working its 60Hz magic on the set even more than I thought, or else I'm fortunate to not see rainbows. Neither does my GF who'd be the first to complain, bless her.

Regards

Mark

7. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caimbeul :hiya: very sorry to hear about the rainbows. I'm also one of the jammy ones who isn't susceptible, but I have friends who definitely are. Have you considered going for an LCD projector to get an even larger screen for about the same cost?

8. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cheers guys :)

I hope you are right about the effect fading over time. I watched Austin Powers: Goldmember last night and dont recall seeing any rainbows (a one off?) - am going to watch somthing a littke more likely to induce the effect (Aliens maybe?)...anyone make any good recomendatins?

I also need to fully test games on it as I'm not sure if i was experiencing some lag on my Gamecube & PS2 or if it was getting used to such a large screen?

I think I only have 7 days as bought from comet on-line and only have the distance selling regulations to cover me.

it will have to go back for two other reasons though: 1st there is a black mark about the size of a fly behind the surface of the screen. 2nd the geometry (think thats the term used) is out. when a 4:3 image is displayed on the screen in said format the left & right sides are all skew wiff, is there a way i can resolve that?

whats the deal with LCD rear-pro's? I thought they were not very good? (no offence to any owners out there!)

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Black & White movies are good for this, you could also try the opening battle scenes of Galadiator, lots of contrasting dark and lights in the forest which threw up loads of Rainbows for me.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Those other two reasons are cause enough to send it back.

LCD rear-pros just aren't anywhere near the quality of DLP.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    LCD rear pros have a different quality about them. Not worse, exactly, just different. They are wholly free from Rainbows or any other type of flicker.

But, rather than taking our opinion, why don't you go look at one. Sony is probably the leader in this type of TV.

12. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks, may hunt some LCD rear-pros out.

I have gladiator so will try that tonight!

I'm thinking LCD may be the next best option (I have a 26" HD Sammy for the bedroom) and the pic is very good with SD and HD...colours can be a bit overbearing and blacks can be a little murky but on the whole is very good. Near smearing either...Trouble is LCD's above 32" are rare & very costly. Sony have a new 40" V series which is double the price of my SP46....Plasma sucks because of the whole burn-in and 100-200hr run in period where you you basically cannot watch TV! :suicide:

13. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are there any HD ready LCD rear pro's except Sony?

14. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
  15. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I first got my SP50 I had terrible rainbow problems. I phoned Comet (bought it online from them) and told them about the problem and that some people had suggested it may take a couple of weeks to settle down. They were happy to let me keep the set for a month (and they even put a Tosh on pre-order for me) to see if it got better rather than sending it straight back.
    As it happens, it did settle down quite a bit - I can still see them all the time if I try (although not as distinct as they were originally) but 95% of the time I just don't notice them and it's no longer a problem.
    However, your problem with the black smudge and geometry sounds pretty bad so get it returned anyway (worth it just to watch their delivery guys struggle).