1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP46L3HX - Mega Colour Wheel Whine :(

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NPM108, Feb 24, 2005.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just took delivery of my SP46L3HX and for the first ten minutes I was super happy but then I got a serious case of Colour Wheel noise and I'm not talking a little. Mega High Pitched whine, with a variable tone as you switch between channels or a picture comes up (DVD etc). Happens on all inputs.

From 6 meters away, my seating position, its loud and bloody annoying (excuse the language). I woudl expect to hear it if I went behind the TV but this is just crazy.

3 ppl including myself just took delivery of this set, and the noise seems to affect us in differnet ways. One can't hear it unless he is right behind the TV, another has a noitceable noise from 4m away but its not too bad, and mine seems to be the worst.

Its fine when you have 6.1 blaring through but I'm sure I will end up with some mega headache from the whine and I can't live with this!!

So, my question is: Can any other SP46L3HX users confirm if they have this problem. Any ideas what is causing it? Could it have become dislodged during shipping? Could it be related to fluctuating voltage ( a common problem in Malta)

Otherwise Picture quality is great and so is the sound, have tried RGB scart from Sky using IXOS flat Scart cable, and Prog Scan over Component using QED comp. cables. Haven't hooked up my DVI player yet as need a DVI to HDMI decent quality cable.

Any help would be appreciated :lease:

2. Peterw

Peterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NPM108 Have SP46L3HX since Christmas, and have been unable to hear noise you describe. You seem to have a duff one, I should arrange a exchange asap.

3. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

I've had a mate come round who just took delivery of the same TV and we have confirmed the phenomenon happens after around 20 minutes of the TV being on. He has likened the high pitched noise to what some power supplies make and I can confirm that if I put my ear to my laptop power supply I hear the same noise, except with the tv its a higher frequency and much louder.

We even tried putting it on a UPS but to no avail. He is going to check out his now that he has heard the sound.

My options are now to ask for a replacement. Return it. Or take a SP46L5HX which is the LCD based model and get it at a discounted price as they only have a display unit.

Thoughts??

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I assume that this is a well known thing with DLP hence not many answers? I appreciate it is difficult to describe the sound and without having heard it directly difficult for people to imagine.

BUT I will say this to ALL ppl who are considering a Rear Pro DLP:

1) PQ is amazing and you won't get better for the price/size

2) This colour wheel whine issue is perhaps subjective as it affects some ppl more than others in terms of how prone you are to find the sound annoying but my thoughts are these: After spending £1700 on a TV I Don't want to have to live with a whine/noise

So seeing as you most likely will not hear this sound in a place like Comet as there would be too much ambient noise, Be Carefull.

These comments add/reinforce to others that include Rainbow Effect etc etc. Btw I have concluded then when you/your eyes are tired after say a long day or lack of sleep you are far more prone to notice the rainbow effect. At least that's the case with me.

Its with great regret that in all likliness the Samsung will have to go, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

5. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FOR SAMMY USERS:

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer...PG_ID=3&AT_ID=14953&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=-1

Document from Samsung says:

The Color Wheel

You should hear the color wheel only when it spins up to speed when you turn your DLP TV on. If you hear a continuous, high pitched whine when your TV is on, it most likely means that the bearings in the color wheel are failing and you will have to get the color wheel replaced.
    To make an appointment for a service call to replace your color wheel, see the directions below.
    Making An Appointment for a Service Call
    To make an appointment for a service call, contact Samsung Customer Care at 1-800-Samsung (1-800-726-7864).

Also interesting thread at:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20233

Hi Lion, I appreciate your post and comments. The Sales Manager of the company came over today to listen to the TV (although this is the first SP46 DLP they got so they had never seen it before) and didn't really agree that the noise was a problem! As I have only paid a small deposit the upper hand is on my side and he sort of offered that I could return it. But he didn't not offer a replacement set.

Its definately the colour wheel and not the fan, I also have a DLP PJ which is quite noisy and that doesn't bother me, whats bothering me is the high pitched whine. You can notice it the most when you switch between say EXT 2 which has no signal and is therefore just the default blue picture over to an EXT with a source and then you hear the colour whine as it spins up to display and the high frequency pitch remains. Its true you can drown it out by turning up the volume, but I don' think thats a solution!

I have read an another forum about replacement newer style colour wheels which apparently use some kind of Air Bearings and are not supposed to whine but my TV is only 2 days old!! I have also emailed Samsung to see what they say.

Its such a dilemma as indeed the picture quality is superb and yes I could do things like build a sound insulated cover to dampen the sound but I don't expect to have to do this from a brand new set! My friends TV makes the noise as well but it is quieter than mine so I am inclined to try and get a replacement set from another batch though I doubt this will be offered to me.

:suicide:

6. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well guys the color wheel on my 46 has been changed. Here's the verdict:

Air Bearing Wheel fitted and jumper removed see picture 1 for jumper location.

On the box of the new colour wheel you should have a sticker with information specific to that colour wheel the most important being the Index Delay and Actuator Settings which are hand written. See Picture 2 for my settings.

Also it states that when changing the colour wheel you need to adjust the Delay of DDP 1010 (1011 in my case) the initial delay value being 223 if you have a difference in Red due to a deviation of where the colour wheel is assembled. See Picture 3

I didn't touch mine as the Reds are fine and so far I have just set the Index Delay and Actuator Settings which were hand written on the new colour wheel box Picture 2. The rest of the settings I still have to do.

Not sure if this helps.

Picture 1: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/npm108/1.jpg
    Picture 2: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/npm108/2.jpg
    Picture 3: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/npm108/3.jpg

7. ericthetash

ericthetash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

how do you alter the settings is it on the remote controller or the tv itself

8. jannyshoe

jannyshoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just changed out the color wheel on my Samsung HL-R4266W, and I have the color reversal issues that many others have reported. But I'm being told to remove the CN810 jumper on the panel under the yellow sticker, and I swear I have no jumper there or anywhere on that panel. The sticker is there with instructions to take the jumper out for an air-bearing color wheel, but no jumper, even under the sticker. Now what??? Any ideas?