1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP 46l6HX - watching DVD - poor picture quality

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Starfleet, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all :hiya:

Your comments are encouraged.

Whilst watching - Hunt for Red October DVD , Sony DVP 905 DVD Player connected via IXOS 601 cable , the picture quality was too say the least poor, it was like watching a Vidoe, :eek: very dark, pastel like faces. watching on old CRT TV was excellent.

Could it be that the DVD is at fault or the TV, same problem on Digital Cable box?

2. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well o.k I took delivery of my SP46 about an hour ago and first thing I did was shoved my no.1 film of all time in for a play and it looked truly amazing, like i could pick the beads of sweat off gorman's face in 'Aliens' during the battle scene. I have a sony progressive scan DVD player connected using for now a pair of cheapo components from work I nicked off some AV gear.
    I dont know what to suggest but first thing i did was to reduce the contrast on the set cause it was way to high using the menu and I edited each input until it looked good for me.
    I will look for th elink for best PQ that someone filled in for ya.

EDIT:
    I have the Sony DVP-NS30 DVD player

3. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i get similar picture fom my cheap DivX player with interlaced via component. once i switch to progressive (575p or 480p) picture is excellent.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just popped this title on my set to check and the pic is superb. :smashin:

5. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Pauley

Do you think that my set may not be showing a true picture, should i get an engineer out ,had one who didn't even know how to access the service menu on the sp46

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Well - it sounds as if it definitely isn't. But it could be for many reasons. Incidentally you don't say if it is the same for all DVDs.

If the fault is only with this disc then it obviously isn't the TV. If it's doing it with them all you need to double check that everything is set up properly - that includes TV and DVD player.

If you're satisfied that all is as it should be, your first port of call should be the Samsung technical help desk.

7. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pauley

It seems that it is on DVD's with dark scenes, I will test a few others tonight, An engineer is coming tomorrow. The TV is fine with anything with light scenes, but dark ones almost blurry on Cable, and blockiness on DVD's

8. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Odd problem Starfleet i'd definetly say was a tv fault, I went out and bought a HD850 player on impulse yesterday while checking out surround speakers. I thought the component output on my Sony with THX certified Monster components was good, that was until I tried the Profigold HDMI cable on the HD850 which improved it by a noticeable amount again :clap: .