Soviet TV version of Lord of the Rings rediscovered after 30 years

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'A Soviet television adaptation of The Lord of the Rings thought to have been lost to time was rediscovered and posted on YouTube last week, delighting Russian-language fans of JRR Tolkien.

The 1991 made-for-TV film, Khraniteli, based on Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring, is the only adaptation of his Lord of the Rings trilogy believed to have been made in the Soviet Union.

Aired 10 years before the release of the first instalment of Peter Jackson’s movie trilogy, the low-budget film appears ripped from another age: the costumes and sets are rudimentary, the special effects are ludicrous, and many of the scenes look more like a theatre production than a feature-length film.'

Guardian

Part 1

Part 2

I've watched the first half and it's strangely mesmerizing.

Comment from youtube...
To the foreign people in the comments - It is a theater stage play recorded in the format of tv film. Such kind of format was popular in Soviet Union.

Makes sense.

This is just a normal day in some parts of Яussia

Is Sauron played as an imperialist capitalist pigdog?

The allure quickly wears off, I didn't get past 5 mins of the second part. It was an experience.

I didn't even know it was missing. :laugh:

The ring looks like it was made from a load of chocolate foil wrappers and the hobbits look like little old babushkas. :rotfl:

I do not and did not need this in my life.

Mods can we impose a temporary ban on captainarchive please ?

is this a risky click of the day type of thing? I'm itching to click a link but I know its wrong!

I definitely prefer the Peter Jackson version.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom