South Korea gets it right

eliotcole

Established Member
Reaction score
I am completely in love with how briliantly, and quietly, South Korea have completely bossed the FUDGE out of this virus.

They're still *actually* able to produce entertainment stuff over there, and somewhat get together/hang-out in person (if the live streams I've seen are true).

I'm *not* completely in love with how the older generations that tend to be in power in all the other countries around the world are so beligerently saying their way is best, or literally taking any other option of handling things rather than how SK has. It really does beggar belief that these stats are continually produced, and SK is *continually* flat flat flat, and still it's Keep Calm and Carry On. [ExasparatedStitchGIF]

***, they've *actually* put free tests that give results in 15m into phone booths. For crying out loud no-one's even mentioned that over here (from what I've seen, which is very little ... 😏 ... ) ...

Anyway. Hurrah for SK.

I am completely in love with how briliantly, and quietly, South Korea have completely bossed the FUDGE out of this virus.

They're still *actually* able to produce entertainment stuff over there, and somewhat get together/hang-out in person (if the live streams I've seen are true).

I'm *not* completely in love with how the older generations that tend to be in power in all the other countries around the world are so beligerently saying their way is best, or literally taking any other option of handling things rather than how SK has. It really does beggar belief that these stats are continually produced, and SK is *continually* flat flat flat, and still it's Keep Calm and Carry On. [ExasparatedStitchGIF]

***, they've *actually* put free tests that give results in 15m into phone booths. For crying out loud no-one's even mentioned that over here (from what I've seen, which is very little ... 😏 ... ) ...

Anyway. Hurrah for SK.
We (UK) are not South Korea. The US is not South Korea. There are so many variables between the countries you're not considering.

Besides which, if you put 'free' tests in phonebooths here some scrote would rob them within 10 minutes.

Yeah ... we're not nearly as advanced as they are. 😏
We (UK) are not South Korea. The US is not South Korea. There are so many variables between the countries you're not considering.

Besides which, if you put 'free' tests in phonebooths here some scrote would rob them within 10 minutes.

Yeah ... we're not nearly as advanced as they are. 😏
I don't think it's anything to do with how 'advanced' SK are. They are better prepared than most by their location and proximity to other 'less advanced' countries i.e. they have good facilities for medicine and research. Also a completely different mindset among the population. Also not a tourist or business hotspot particularly.

They're also, arguably, simply delaying the inevitable. Unless we find a vaccine.

FTFY some scrote would rob them and have them up on ebay within 10 minutes.

WTF? How has this become its own thread? My original post was about a plant in the US. This also looks like I started this thread, which I didn't.

WTF? How has this become its own thread? My original post was about a plant in the US

My error, it got scooped up with the other SK ones. I'll send it back home

That wasn't really what I was saying with that quoted, second, post, to be fair. But, cool cool. 👍

All I was saying ... really ... was that ... in general ... the UK and the US are awful countries and I'm frequently ashamed that I have anything to do with either of them and their leaders and would loooooooove a marriage of convenience (I have a shortlist of countries - 😏 ) to ensure that I have a safety net when either/or go fully blarg.

... and that South Korea is better than them. I mean ... that is just science. :thumbsup:

I don't think it's anything to do with how 'advanced' SK are. They are better prepared than most by their location and proximity to other 'less advanced' countries i.e. they have good facilities for medicine and research. Also a completely different mindset among the population. Also not a tourist or business hotspot particularly.

They're also, arguably, simply delaying the inevitable. Unless we find a vaccine.

Hahaha ... brilliant! My own thread! :D

I don't think this is needed, though, it can be canned. I'm happy for my original posts to remain, they were just asides. :)

I've only just got everything in the "right" place, I'm not undoing it now :D:thumbsup:

Taiwan and South Korea are about the only 2 countries that have done things effectively, the standard reply to that is usually because they have experience from other pandemics such as SARS.

What I don’t get is why the science that we seem to be guided by has us do the opposite of these more experienced countries like advising the public not to use false masks and to let people into the country completely unchecked.

32660C8C-D4A6-4885-A03A-372BAB059025.jpeg

The S.Koreans had an action plan ready due to being hit hard by previous viral outbreaks. MERS in 2015, among others.
The moved quickly into lockdown, testing, etc., but they also have serious privacy "invasions". Apps to track people, public access of bank transactions, GPS phone data, etc.
As I was saying to the wife's sister in bed this morning, not everyone would like that. :D

Don't remind me ... I mean, I guess I'm lucky that everywhere has Wi-Fi, but not owning a mobile phone is pretty hard. Still, I'm not paying hundreds of pounds a year just so people can get in touch whilst I'm on the bloody move, which always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. 😏
Good luck finding phone booths over here to put them in.

The one thing I'll say about tracking, etc, is that if there are laws in place that can track you, then there are literal laws that you can find legal ways to avoid said tracking.

I'll google it now, but is all their tracking based on cell usage? (if so, smirky mcsmirkface)

Or do they track invasively like China in Xinjiang and Beijing, with all the cameras and face tracking algorithms? If so, bust out the Bowie Facepaints (i love this)!!! 😎 ⚡
The S.Koreans had an action plan ready due to being hit hard by previous viral outbreaks. MERS in 2015, among others.
The moved quickly into lockdown, testing, etc., but they also have serious privacy "invasions". Apps to track people, public access of bank transactions, GPS phone data, etc.
As I was saying to the wife's sister in bed this morning, not everyone would like that. :D

Don't remind me ... I mean, I guess I'm lucky that everywhere has Wi-Fi, but not owning a mobile phone is pretty hard. Still, I'm not paying hundreds of pounds a year just so people can get in touch whilst I'm on the bloody move, which always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. 😏

The one thing I'll say about tracking, etc, is that if there are laws in place that can track you, then there are literal laws that you can find legal ways to avoid said tracking.

I'll google it now, but is all their tracking based on cell usage? (if so, smirky mcsmirkface)

Or do they track invasively like China in Xinjiang and Beijing, with all the cameras and face tracking algorithms? If so, bust out the Bowie Facepaints (i love this)!!! 😎 ⚡
As I understand it (from the media, which I don't trust). S. Korea changed privacy legislation and it is compulsory. In the UK a high % of the population would kick up against it and I've no doubt the civil rights groups would make the thing "optional" and therefore pretty useless.
Frankly, I also think the track & trace philosophy is useless in a population where the virus is established. We are in the position of having to "ride the lightning" until the majority of the population is immune.

I'm not saying this with any irksome vibe (hope the like shows that), but which part is compulsory?
As I understand it (from the media, which I don't trust). S. Korea changed privacy legislation and it is compulsory.

Apparently South Koreans used to look to Europe as a model to aspire to. No longer.

I suspect much of Europe's descent into disease ridden failed states is down to Western exceptionalism. The belief, strongest of all no doubt in the likes of Johnson and Trump that this type of thing can't happen here, that it's a foreign, Asian problem. That somehow the West is better.

Things have you change if we make it through this. Whatever remains of the shattered European economies cannot be rebuilt on the same polluting, selfish models. That really is my only hope, that we learn and never make the same mistakes. There must also be retribution on a scale not seen since WW2. Johnson and his gang of sociopaths must go to jail for this. So many are now dead through his laziness, complacency, arrogance, and stupidity.

Apparently South Koreans used to look to Europe as a model to aspire to. No longer.

I suspect much of Europe's descent into disease ridden failed states is down to Western exceptionalism. The belief, strongest of all no doubt in the likes of Johnson and Trump that this type of thing can't happen here, that it's a foreign, Asian problem. That somehow the West is better.

Things have you change if we make it through this. Whatever remains of the shattered European economies cannot be rebuilt on the same polluting, selfish models. That really is my only hope, that we learn and never make the same mistakes. There must also be retribution on a scale not seen since WW2. Johnson and his gang of sociopaths must go to jail for this. So many are now dead through his laziness, complacency, arrogance, and stupidity.

Jail, though? A bit OTT. You forget that the western countries are just too liberal. It was always going to be difficult to get used to being locked down here.

South Korea still looks up to the western countries. Their economy is strong because of American influence. The film Parasite was an indictment of exported capitalism.

We know where the blame has to be laid. CCP.

Last edited:
Look ... ED-209 might have been a failure, but Robocop DID go from strength to strength.
We know where the blame has to be laid. CCP.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom