New tin.

Attachments

• 52A13D4E-85BA-47C8-A587-2A3FD189D5B9.jpeg
    52A13D4E-85BA-47C8-A587-2A3FD189D5B9.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 01ED5B2A-4288-447B-8083-1FF71F709D13.jpeg
    01ED5B2A-4288-447B-8083-1FF71F709D13.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 40
Began a new starter using @prezzy’s method , although with quantities halved as I won’t be doing two loaves initially.

Just done day-two’s stir and it already looks and smells better than the two previous attempts. Some bubbles forming, too. Off work on Friday so hope it continues to play ball until then.

For those with a bread lame, i just made one using a metal chopstick and a DE razor blade (I use safety razors and straight razors when I shave). Does the curvature look too extreme in the pictures? This is something I should be able to adjust but wanted an idea.

Attachments

• 2759C3C1-AEC9-4245-A074-4600187571BB.jpeg
    2759C3C1-AEC9-4245-A074-4600187571BB.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 26
  • F5190317-D286-4AF2-86ED-810B67AEB58D.jpeg
    F5190317-D286-4AF2-86ED-810B67AEB58D.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 29
I can't advise, but I like your ingenuity :thumbsup:

For those with a bread lame, i just made one using a metal chopstick and a DE razor blade (I use safety razors and straight razors when I shave). Does the curvature look too extreme in the pictures? This is something I should be able to adjust but wanted an idea.
Lame or shiv?! Hope it can't ping off. I'm considering buying one of Jack's grignettes. Sure they're pricey for what they are but look pretty idiot proof. I'd somehow manage to shred myself on your ingenuious creation.

As for my starter, just given it its day-three stir. Had a tiny amount of watery stuff on top, nothing like before, and smells a bit sour maybe but not like post-drinking sick, so that's something. Fingers crossed.

Lame or shiv?! Hope it can't ping off. I'm considering buying one of Jack's grignettes. Sure they're pricey for what they are but look pretty idiot proof. I'd somehow manage to shred myself on your ingenuious creation.
😂

I banged it a few time’s on a table and it didn’t go anywhere. Those metal chopsticks also have some grooves built into them which I hope will add some stability beyond just tension.

my backup plan is to use an old shavette/straight with the blade protruding further than you would for a shave.

So today’s commission thrown my way is to make soft white hot dog buns for today and soft white rolls for tomorrow at the same time.

thinking of using this recipe....

Anyone got a tried and tested recipe?

So today’s commission thrown my way is to make soft white hot dog buns for today and soft white rolls for tomorrow at the same time.

thinking of using this recipe....

Anyone got a tried and tested recipe?
Kneading for up to 25 mins sounds excessive and I cannot imagine what that's going to achieve over an 8 min knead and a couple of folds and rest.
Have you checked out Jack's video?

Kneading for up to 25 mins sounds excessive and I cannot imagine what that's going to achieve over an 8 min knead and a couple of folds and rest.
Have you checked out Jack's video?

I was only going to do 8-10 as per Jack ;):D

missed that video on the channel, thanks for the headsup!

Will stick to Jacks dough spec in that soft roll vid.

I am finding myself always screenshotting his dough spec from the videos I watch and keeping them as reference for various breads.

Will stick to Jacks dough spec in that soft roll vid.

I am finding myself always screenshotting his dough spec from the videos I watch and keeping them as reference for various breads.
I find his recipes and instructions so clear and simple to follow, whereas many others seem to complicate the processes and recipes.

Coincidentally, I'm doing soft rolls today. They're just having their first prove. Had made them just as I would normal bread but the tops went a bit hard. Watched Jack's video and have upped the olive oil and will drop the oven temp and see how they turn out.

Absolutely disaster on the sourdough starter front. It would have been four days old at about 11am. But saw first thing this morning that it had mould growing in it. It had been stirred as per @prezzy's method each day prior and was looking okay until today. It smelled slightly bad, too. Guess it's down to the heat, but it wasn't really bubbling so I have no clue what the way round that is. Anyone got any ideas?

Coincidentally, I'm doing soft rolls today. They're just having their first prove. Had made them just as I would normal bread but the tops went a bit hard. Watched Jack's video and have upped the olive oil and will drop the oven temp and see how they turn out.

Absolutely disaster on the sourdough starter front. It would have been four days old at about 11am. But saw first thing this morning that it had mould growing in it. It had been stirred as per @prezzy's method each day prior and was looking okay until today. It smelled slightly bad, too. Guess it's down to the heat, but it wasn't really bubbling so I have no clue what the way round that is. Anyone got any ideas?

Shouldn't have any mold on it - are you keeping it in a covererd jar?
Cling film over the top should be ok.
Just sent you the pages from the book I originally used for this as well.

Shouldn't have any mold on it - are you keeping it in a covererd jar?
Cling film over the top should be ok.
Just sent you the pages from the book I originally used for this as well.
Thanks, that's really kind. And yes, it's in a sealed plastic jar, bought specifically for this purpose. It was cleaned well before this use but maybe next time I'll rinse with boiling water just before trying again. Got to go to the shop later so will see if I can pick up some organic flour of some description and try that. Determined to crack this!

Update: No organic flour, barring buckwheat, which I decided against. They did have plenty of yeast so I got another tub of Allinson's. Don't think I'm going to be able to rely on a starter for a little while yet.

Last edited:
Just put my dough together to realise I have a meeting at 3pm!!:oops:

so I’m thinking leave it on the side for roughly 30mins, it’s 26*c in the kitchen and the. Fridge until around 4pm when I will bring back to room temp. Divide and shape for 2nd prove.

any thoughts?

Just put my dough together to realise I have a meeting at 3pm!!:oops:

so I’m thinking leave it on the side for roughly 30mins, it’s 26*c in the kitchen and the. Fridge until around 4pm when I will bring back to room temp. Divide and shape for 2nd prove.

any thoughts?
sounds good to me.

sounds good to me.
I did it. It continued to ferment in the fridge leading to it almost falling out of the bowl.

working out well so far. Hot dogs have been pre/shaped and shaped. On their second prove and then into the oven and on to the buns!

I did it. It continued to ferment in the fridge leading to it almost falling out of the bowl.

working out well so far. Hot dogs have been pre/shaped and shaped. On their second prove and then into the oven and on to the buns!
I was going to say that even though Jack says to use 7g of yeast, I only use 3g and after a couple of hours it's all very well risen. I then overnight it in the fridge and warm up in the morning. 3g is ample for 375g flour for my loaves.

I was going to say that even though Jack says to use 7g of yeast, I only use 3g and after a couple of hours it's all very well risen. I then overnight it in the fridge and warm up in the morning. 3g is ample for 375g flour for my loaves.
It’s all about time :)

Hot dog buns done. First batch of rolls in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 26
Rolls, glorious soft and fluffy rolls!!

Attachments

• 285FC0DE-110B-45A5-A788-92368A654705.jpeg
    285FC0DE-110B-45A5-A788-92368A654705.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 24

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel