Sources for reasonably priced screens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WSquared, Nov 21, 2001.

1. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got a quote for a 2.1 meter wide, motorised, 16:9, VuTec screen. A ceiling/wall mount case, not the flush-mount type with the trap door.
    Price: £1600 inc VAT.

IR receiver for the screen is £250
    12V relay for pj trigger is £300

The screen is to go with the Sony 11HT. I'm looking for a screen gain of about 1.1. Due to the improved contrast ratio, I don't think the 11HT quite needs a Greyhawk, but I have not seen them together.
    I'm not bother about who makes it as long as it is a reasonable quality screen. But, the cheaper the better.

Any recomendations?

William

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try www.owlvideosystems.co.uk they are over in sheffield and will knock a nice 8ft motorised drop down for about £500 with interface box

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  5. miro

miro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argh, we meet again Mr Squared...

From what distance will you be viewing your screen?

My 7oaks used an Owl sourced screen and offered it with a Sim200. Value was roughly £600 for 80" wide electric.

Ask Owl if they've got screen samples yet. They should be importing Grayhawks at some point.

Also visit HCC and look up advertisers list for links.

Regards,

Miro.

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    They kept that quiet they were in Uckfiled, East Sussex yesterday;)

7. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks everybody. I take it you have to ring up Owl to get a price as I don't see any prices on their website. I had been to direkt2u before but couldn't remember the name or the link. Cheers.

My local Seven Oaks wasn't very helpful as soon as I mentioned I was looking at the 11HT rather than the Sim2 range.

Hello again Miro. Do you know when your screen samples and 11HT should arrive?

8. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anybody have experience with a "tensioned" versus a "non-tensioned" screen?
    Do the "non-vensioned" variety really have a big problem with curling or wrinkling of the screen after a long period of time?

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    W,

Depends on fabric used and aspect ratio of screen I think. 4:3 screen with large drops relative to width curl more. Stiff materials curl less.

Other issues are how the matrerial is attached to the drum in the housing. Poor design can result in ridges appearing on the material as it rolls over itself ini the housing. So next time you drop the screen you have nice horizontal streaks across the screen for a few hrs till they drop out....until next time you roll the screen up...

Gordon

10. miro

miro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    William,

Not yet ordered 11HT, waiting for Hitachi review first. My current thread on AVS "What's the best screen type for a Sony 11HT?", has gone onto 2 pages!!

I've emailed Owl about screen samples but no reply as yet.

I've also emailed my chum in 7oaks about their screen and 11HT demo. Just gotta wait now.

11. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Miro, I've been following your thread on AVS and just replied to it. If Owl do send you some screen samples, would you mind a visitor?

I had an email back from Dalight. I requested the detailed wiring and dimentional diagrams for the Cosmopolitan Electrol. They sent the detailed diagrams for this screen along with installation instructions.
    The pull-down variety from Direkt2U is certainly a lower cost option worth consideration as well.

I also asked their opinion on the "tension" subject, to which they also gave an answer.

See "tension" exerpt from email below:
    The benefit to a tab tensioned screen is to ensure that you have a perfectly flat picture area at all times. You should not have any problems with edge curl with a non-tensioned screen, however, the fabric may tend to waver with air current. You would not have that problem with a tensioned screen.

So, as long as your non-tensioned screen isn't above your radiator, your ok.

William

12. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got an email from Da-Lite. Screen fabric samples are on the way.
    So, I guess I need to actually buy the 11HT now.:D

13. miro

miro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read your AVS reply. Here's my reply on AVS -
    <quote>
    No word from Owl yet. You're lucky with Da-Lite. Is that a UK based office or from the USA?

Sevenoaks Swansea are using a 1.2 matte white, no name given though. It gives a good picture on the Sanyo & Sim, just the shadow detail is lacking.

They sell the 11HT for £4799, but quote our best price from the shop I gave you and see what they say at your local branch.

On the pixels front, Sony told my man if there's excessive dead pixels, as determined by Sony, they will exchange, otherwise no. The shop with the best price said any pixel problems and they'll exchange. Perhaps I needed to talk more to them.
    </end quote>

It'll be next week for an Owl response. In the meantime, I shall exude patience from my pores and scream quietly for a pj.:p

14. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone in a muddle for Da-Lite screen material samples can contact me HERE . I have a few Da-Lite catalogues as well if needed,but not unlimited numbers and not enough screen material to make one ;)
    Henry