Source Recommendation: Streamer vs DAC for McIntosh MA252 / Sonus Faber Olympica I

nl88

Hi guys,

As mentioned previously, I am running a Denon AVR-X4300H that was powering my home theatre 5.1.2 setup with Sonus Faber Olympica I LR Center Speakers.

I added a Naim Uniti Atom and connected it directly to my Olympica I and it sounded really good. When I saw a good deal on the Mcintosh MA252, my itchy fingers had to sell the Uniti Atom off and purchase the MA252 because.. as superficial as it sounds, it has always been a brand that I wanted to own.

Now, I'm stuck in a situation of:
Denon X4300 (Spotify) -----> MA252 ----> Speakers

I'm just exploring some options on improving my front end source hence I was thinking of the following options.
Thinking of getting either a streamer or a DAC:

1. BlueSound Node 2i (Source + DAC) ------> MA252 ------> Speakers
2. Apple TV (Source) -----> DAC ------> MA252 -----> Speakers
3. Synology -----> DAC ------> MA252 -----> Speakers
4. Rega Planar 1/2/3 (Turntable) ------> MA252 ----> Speakers

Not sure how does option 3 work. Can someone explain how do I connect the hi-res files in my Synology NAS and play it thru my system ?
Still a little on the edge for the turntable option as I have totally 0 experience with Vinyls and don't know if I can keep up with buying records.

Thank you all !

3rdignis

I like one good dac for all stereo sources.

The Apple tv is usefull. Music videos, surround music and more through Tidal and Apple music

I've said before, but I would like someone to confirm that....all stereo sources connected to an avr by HDMI, output to a tv, tv optical to stereo dac works digital through.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom