1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Source options

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by best, Jul 29, 2003.

1. best

best

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I'm buying a new seperates system, so far i have B&W 602 S3's and the Marantz PM7200 Amp. The problem is i have no source for CD's and the Marantz CD player im interested in dosn't come out till september.

I have a couple of options and they are wait for the CD player to come out or buy the Marantz CD5400 now. Would this CD player let down the hifi? Just that i don't want to spend £150 then another £300 when the better model comes out.

Or i could buy a Toshiba 330e and use that for CD's then upgrade to a the CD player when it's out. As i was planning on buying a DVD player later this year. Would that sound really bad? Cause i do want to hear the hifi at least quite close to what it can do

By the way im pretty set on Marantz 50th anniversary stuff because it seems to be good quality and i would like the set up to match :)

Thank you
    Best

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Tosh 330e is a nice DVD player, but like all budget players, it is a bit weak with CD's. The CD5400 will spank it, but then the better Marantz player on it's way in Sept should (which model is it?) eat it's little brother too.

Me? I'd get the Tosh now (they are seriously good value), then wait for the new Marantz. At least you can hear your setup now and get it nicely run in too. Just don't judge the amp/speakers by the Tosh.

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at second hand equipment (ebay) you may be able to pick up a Marantz CD6000 OSE, these are wonderful CD Players and highly rated by the press, it should be in your budget. Or if you could stretch your budget consider the Marantz CD6000 KI Signiture model which are even better.

4. best

best

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice :)

I went with Sunday Ironfoot's advice and kept a look out for 2nd hand bargains. Today in the local paper there was a Marantz CD-52 mkII for £20 so i bought that. In todays standards is that a good player? It sounded a lot crisper and punchier in bass and less harsh in the highs.

Anyone know anything about this player? I could upgrade to the player coming in september but would the better sound quality justify £300 over this new player?

Thank you again :)
    Best

5. Kali

Kali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only you can judge the sound.. obviously you feel theres still more to be got out of your current stereo combo.. I'd take a look at your interconnects and speaker cable before spending 300 on a new cd player... the fact that you don't list them could mean you don't take them seriously enough :)

But if you really want to.. you should be able to pick up a second-hand Arcam CD72 for less than your 300 budget (check ebay)...

6. best

best

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i don't underestimate the cables. I'm using a QED Quinx 2 interconnect between the CD player and Amp, and for speaker cable im using QED original bi wire.

But is this CD-52 mkii, which cost £350 5 years ago seen as competitive against today’s CD players? I know only i can say weather i like the sound. But as this is my first separates system i don't know if the CD is holding back the system.

Unfortunately the local hifi shops which stock the players im interested in don't have good demo rooms.

Thanks
    best