1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Source for XLR Shorting plugs?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by CogPaul, Jul 25, 2004.

1. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of a source for balanced shorting plugs - I need three for a Krell amp and don't fancy embarking on a DIY disaster with my soldering iron!

Paul

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Are shorting plugs balanced/unbalanced convertors?
    If so Canford sell lots of different XLR adaptors or try the local DJ/Pro audio store who will probably make you up a cable quite cheaply. Using an electronic convertor starts around £120 AFAIK.

3. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Balanced shorting plugs are an xlr plug with pins 1 and 3 wired together - I will take your advice and seek out a pro-audio shop - just wanted to try and buy some quickly so I could sort out hum problem on my amp.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    FWIW I was given a very rough quote of £6 or so, to build a 1m phono to XLR cable at the weekend. It wasn't one of the national stores but a small place that supplies the clubs and pubs around here with gear.

5. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please explain to a newbie (interested in Krell and balanced cables generally) - how come you can get reasonably cheap balanced cables - surely the same sort of rules apply as standard interconnects and the quality must still be high to get a good signal?

Thanks for any help!

David

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    The shorting plug is cheap as it is just a link, to short two points, the same rules apply for XLR cables as regular single ended cables, however you dont have to worry as much when it comes to sheilding etc. I guess so you can save a bit of money there, but then you have another cable so I guess you loose what you save again. :rolleyes:

I have some camelot technologies xlr cable at the moment and that is 3 cables wound together in a teflon sleeve with and absolutely no shielding at all, and there is only the faintest of hiss' and zero humm on my speakers 1" away with the processor at -0db so they are obviously doing there job.

7. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ####sorry you lost me there - doewsa this mean you use XLR cables in conjunction with normal speaker or interconnect cabling - or it does carry signals too? :confused:

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    You don't need shorting plugs as such, just shorting pins that look like an elongated U. You just have to plug them into the XLR inputs. Any decent hifi shop or dealer should be able to sort you out with some for about 50p each at most.