1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Source for S video cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by colinstone, May 3, 2003.

1. colinstone

colinstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am looking for 15m of s video cable to make up my own leads - have 10 decent plugs and silver loaded solder - to wire up home cinema. Having tried a couple of suppliers, I think I need dual screened cable.

I've looked at CPC/Farnell and they sell a s video cable, CB02453, made by Tech Link UK. I understand that it is dual screened.

Also contacted Bandridge who will sell a drum of Profigold Blue at 40p per metre, but min order is 50m drum - but could still be good value.

Also, I've noticed that the Profigold in the shops has ferrite filters at each end - like a computer monitor cable. Are these worth fitting???

TVMIA

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Lektropacks ProLink range is pretty good value for money, and they sell cable by the metre.

Lektropacks sell s-video cable for £2.25/m or £1.95/m for >20m or £150/100m drum.

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/

Order Code:- PCABLE4

BTW, OFC and dual screened too. If you have decent plugs this may be better choice than 40p/m cable.

StooMonster

3. colinstone

colinstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - tried Letropacks - it is now only single screened with braid round both cores and a huge amount of dot crawlies on a cinema screen. Borrowed Vivanco Prowire was much better. Also tried Keene - much the same.

Profigold Blue at 40p metre is quite tempting - ProfiGold Blue cables in my HiFi store at £29.95 for a 5m cable - but I do not need 50m!!. Some mark up!!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you have 10 plugs and are a proffient solderer why but see if any one else wants long S-vid lead or the cable and split the Drum sort of mini powerbuy. 3 people wanting 15m cables will eat a drum!!!!!!!

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Have you though of using standrad single core 75ohm cable and puuting BNC connectors on the end, and then using BNC to s-video mini-DIN breakout cables?

This would probably be more practical long term and give a better picture.

6. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would there be a noticeable increase in picture quality as i am planning on buying a 15m svideo lead????

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think the s-video signal starts to deterioate over long than 10m runs. Have to check with someone else though to confirm. 15M should be ok though, just best to run a short as possible.

Composite, RGB and component video have much more robust signals and can be run over longer lengths.

What application is the s-video lead for?

I was thinking of future flexabilty for the double cable, yoiu may want to use component video (or summit better, who knows?) in the future and this would help.

8. colinstone

colinstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a TEAC Reference 500 AV receiver which has s video or composite inputs - so I am going the s video route. Had considered the component/RGB route and we looked very carefully at the difference between the s video output from the TEAC Reference 550 DVD player and an RGB input into an InFocus X1 projector onto a 7 ft wide pic - and we could not tell the difference. I am not sure what the limiting factor in the chain is - but s video it now will be.
    The 15m length will be cut to input Digital TV, VCR with s video output, DVD player and camcorder - in the future.

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Should be fine then.

If it's going to be hidden in the wall etc it's probably worth wiring for others if you can afford to, or at least dropping in some draw wire to make things easier in the future.

Have fun!:smashin:

10. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Retro:smashin: