Source for F1 style 'in ear' earphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Seahorse, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do a daily 1 hour commute on a motocylce and normal earbuds are useless, too quiet & fall out.

If Michael Schumacher can hear Rory at 200MPH, I should be able to hear some MP3s at 70.

I have had no success tracking down these kind of earphones. Anyone know of a source and their name/type/whatever...:lease:

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    They don't have to contend with other people honking their horns at them, police cars coming up alongside, etc. In that way, I don't think the F1 driver situation applies to a motorcycle rider. I'd certainly never consider using any of my in-ear phones on either push/motor-bike because they keep a lot of outside noise out. Handy when you've got a 800hp engine right behind you and someone needing to shout pertinent information to you at all times, not so great when you're weaving in and out of traffic.

Having said that you're probably looking for the in-ear monitors from companies such as Shure, Etymotic, Ultimate Ears and Prophonic.

The cheapest of this type is the Shure E2c at about £70. The most expensive are custom-fitted ones that can run you near a grand. Handheldaudio (www.handheldaudio.co.uk) do a very full range, but you can get them cheaper from the States. Click on "In-Ear Monitors" on the handheldaudio site, go to "earpieces" and start with the "Generic" products.

3. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ta very much, I ride with earplugs in to kill the wind noise, but some music would be better...:D
    Oh, eBay came up trumps...Shure Ec2s